Massive Oil Leak

AGILHAM

I have a 1991 Lexus ls400, it has about 275k on it. Over the past year it has just been falling apart, but recentaly it started leaking oil...it started small and now it leaks about 5 qrts a week maybe more. The other day it stalled when I came to a stop, it did it again about 5 mins later again at a stop. I parked it and went to pick it up to have someone follow me home, and it made it about 1 blk before stalling and not starting again, Think i might have seized the engine...any ideas?

I have been putting oil in it, i put 3 qrts on sunday, I don't have much money to fix it so i just get by trying to keep it running. the check engine light is on because of emissions problems, looking into getting new cats for it. Two oil lights came on, but only intermittaley. And when it finally wouldn't start a light came on that I have no idea what it was, its square with lines. The last time i checked the oil was sunday and it was fine, i haven't checked it yet, was just trying to get it home last night(2 miles at the most) to put oil in it there. Does it have a sensor that would detect oil pressure and turn off the car?

I have been putting oil in it, i put 3 qrts on sunday, I don't have much money to fix it so i just get by trying to keep it running. the check engine light is on because of emissions problems, looking into getting new cats for it. Two oil lights came on, but only intermittaley. And when it finally wouldn't start a light came on that I have no idea what it was, its square with lines. The last time i checked the oil was sunday and it was fine, i haven't checked it yet, was just trying to get it home last night(2 miles at the most) to put oil in it there. Does it have a sensor that would detect oil pressure and turn off the car?

Common sense should tell you if you can't fix it, don't drive it. Not only will it most likely cost you more later to repair the problem, but it could also be unsafe. Car stalling in fast traffic on the highway; brakes failling as you're coming to a red light; car fire if you have a leaking fuel rail, you can imagine all the different scenarios. That "square with lines" warning light you mention, if it's in the bottom left corner of your instrument cluster then it's a low coolant level warning. Sounds like you have more than one issue here. Check to see if you still have any oil in there. You might be lucky. I would suggest saving your money to get any repairs you need done and parking it until you get there. In the mean time, do some research on this and other sites and familiarize yourself with the car's systems. You can check each system methodically to see what might be of concern and that you could possibly repair youself.

There are two oil warning lamps.. at least they are on my 91' LS400. One comes on when the oil is low (its amber colored) and the other when the oil is severely low to the point where the oil pressure is low. If this light is on, (its red), that means danger. I am still thankful that despite 210K miles, that my car does not leak or burn not even a drop of oil between the 3K changes. I hope I never develop that oil leak.

Like eatingblacktop said, that other warning lamp is low coolant. Is the car overheating? You may just need simple repairs, but I hope it has not gone so far that is not worth repairing.

These are well known to go over 500K with proper care.

Good luck.