How To Determine If Fan Clutch Needs Replacement?

rtfoster

My '97 LS 400s temperature gage is approaching the red line for the first time. I took it to a local oil change/tire shop and they said that my primary problem is the fan clutch. According to them, it needs to be replaced. They quoted $1,000 for a new clutch, new belt, two new hoses, a new thermostat, and radiator cap.

The fan does rotate at what appears to be high RPM at with engine at idle and hood open.

Is there any way to test the condition of the fan clutch to confirm the need for replacement?

Thanks.

My '97 LS 400s temperature gage is approaching the red line for the first time. I took it to a local oil change/tire shop and they said that my primary problem is the fan clutch. According to them, it needs to be replaced. They quoted $1,000 for a new clutch, new belt, two new hoses, a new thermostat, and radiator cap.

The fan does rotate at what appears to be high RPM at with engine at idle and hood open.

Is there any way to test the condition of the fan clutch to confirm the need for replacement?

Thanks.

Nothing against lube shops, but I would have either a Lexus or Toyota stealership check it out. Could be several reasons besides a fan clutch that are causing the oveheating ... from a bad thermostat, clogged rad, to a failing water pump or timing belt. With a 97ls you have an interference engine, meaning if the timing belt goes, you've got damage to the engine. My advice would be to get it checked out before driving any further.

Easy test,

start the car cold,

does the fan spin slowly or really fast (loud whirring noise )

then does it stay fast or slow down once it starts.

When it is working normally it will spin fast on start up like a plane prop then slow down. As the fluid settles in the clutch it is locked until it is spun , then it slows down and will only lock up again until heated to a set temp.

If it spins slow it may need fluid which is hard to find from toyota and harder to fill but costs $3.

If it is locked you cannot turn the fan by hand when the engine is cool and off. then you need a new clutch all 1990-2000 are the same only option is the towing package with a different temp fluid.

Switch to an electric fan like i did when mine locked up.

does the car overheat when you drive it on the highway?

if yes, then it might be your thermostat or it might be your water pump, if no, then it might be your clutch indeed.

does the car overheat when you drive it on the highway?

if yes, then it might be your thermostat or it might be your water pump, if no, then it might be your clutch indeed.

VMF is correct....if u drive it on the freeway, then u pull off the freeway and ur car starts to get hot, then its ur clutch fan there is another way of testing it but im not going to post it because u could get hurt