Adding Spoiler To 1992 Sc300

addb

I wanted to used the spoiler that had the brake light in it but couldn't figure out what to do with the brake light in the rear window. My windows were tinted so I would have a "tint hole" in my rear window. Just something to think about.

Wick

UCF3,

Well, I must admit I like the looks of your (is that yours?) SC300 with the rear flares, etc., but I have a problem with cars that look fast: I tend to take them to the track and destroy them :D . My goal here is to keep my SC really lux. Superlux. I guess that's where "Lexus" comes from, Luxus? Deluxus? :) So, that said, I'm going to try to make it look understated and maintain a factory look as much as possible. The only non-factory thing I really want to do is find some kind of mudguards or something to beef up the area around the fenders. I noticed the new Solara's have a mud guard option that makes the car look more muscular. Anyone have any ideas for that?

I also wouldn't mind some 17 inch wheels that look like the earlier SC400 wheels (the rounded 10 spoke jobbies). I'm trying to get 17's that would almost fool a fellow lexus owner. Good luck I suppose.

thanks,

addb

No the pic I added is a Nissan Skyline GTR-34. If you're interested in flares for your mudguards, checkout some of the bodykits available. You might come accross something you like. The spoiler you're interested in is fine.

Good Luck

hey in response to your original question of do the spoilers cause problems... the answer is that it CAN cause just one...see the trunk lid is held up by gas shocks (like the hood) and like the hood they wear out after time...now i'm betting that you have had your trunk open a few times so make sure that those puppies are strong cause you don't want to replace them (120+ bucks a piece OUCH!).

hey in response to your original question of do the spoilers cause problems... the answer is that it CAN cause just one...see the trunk lid is held up by gas shocks (like the hood) and like the hood they wear out after time...now i'm betting that you have had your trunk open a few times so make sure that those puppies are strong cause you don't want to replace them (120+ bucks a piece OUCH!).

If the Wings West spoiler is as light as the OEM ones, then it shouldn't. OEM ones are hollow spoilers.

... you don't want to replace them (120+ bucks a piece OUCH!).

It is possible that new struts would be needed to hold the trunk open on its own. That price is a crock though. What is that the dealership rate? Replacement cross ref struts can be found on line for 25$ + shipping and installed by the do it yourselfer easily for free.

True, just replaced my trunk shocks for $29.99 ea at Allied Auto, referred to them through Kragen. I've also heard Autozone has them avail. Good luck, the install is quite easy and I used the baseball bat method of holding up the trunk while replacing them to avoid being decapitated :lol:

I've added and aftermarket painted '92 spoiler style to my SC300 for the same ashtetics reasons as you mention, also, its classer to my eye, but no one ever found me guilty of good taste.

Regarding the comments of lextech and AWJ, I would agree re: trunk struts. Lexus sells two different part numbers, one for with and one without a spoiler. If you don't change it, it will not stay open at best and come down hard when you don't want it to. Price, you can certainly do better than dealer.

Second, if you are doing it yourself, a template would be a real asset. I did it without and it was not thrilled with the outcome. I have subsequently seen someone selling it with a template and thought that would have been dramatically easier. You are actually going to get out a drill and drill right through your truck. Better get it right.

Yeah,

I called Lexus and the whole wing jobby, not including labor was going to be $1300. I bought the Wings West, color matched and shipped to my door for $325. It comes with a template. All I need are stronger struts which I will hopefully find through the sources you guys list in this thread. So the whole job should cost $400 maybe.

I still want a set of OEM 16 inch SC400 wheels, the older 10-spoke kind. If anyone knows of any. (Some guy on ebay just backed out because the bidding didn't go high enough for him - I guess he'd never heard of setting a reserve price).

Thanks everyone!

For you guys that have done this......i wanna know if there is any difference in color since the SPoilers are freshly painted to stock color while your car has been exposed to sun, water, and other elements for years now.

If the difference is barely noticeable i don't care.....but if it is seen, it makes it look cheap and unfinished.

Ok first depending on the color of your car yes the spoiler may end up looking like a completely different shade...second for whomever it was that asked the question of was i quoting dealer prices on stuff...that would be correct as i work for the lexus store here as a technician. (and they really do cost that much as crazy as it is).

hey but back to the color thing..yah man i don't know what year your car is or what color but if its white i deffinately wouldn't do it that color faded like a mother....we get complaints constantly about that.....otherwise i'd check the local lexus lot...see if your color is still made and then park next to a new car thats the same color...it sounds goofy but that spoiler will be the color of that new car...if yours is noticably different you may want to buy a naked spoiler and have it match painted at a body shop.

hope that helps..

Lextech is right on that, after a long period of time the paint is going to have faded. One thing we've done in the past (and i'm not saying this will work for you or implying that you should try it.) but we've added a little extra flex addative and that will change the hue of the paint little by little. And actually tried to match faded paint, it turned out better than it would've been painted with a straight mixture.

On my 94 SC300 Emerald Green, perfect match. Installed it in 2002. I mean you would never, ever, have any freaking idea this was not the original paint. We are both in the SF area, not the Texas or Arizona desert. It is likely that you will be pleasantly surprised at the match. Don't sweat it.

:cheers: