2006 Is 350 Questions

I just bought a used 2006 IS 350 with about 18k miles on it. So far I love the car and I’m very happy with it. However, I do have a few questions for you already owners.

1) Does anyone change their own oil? Do you know how to reset the computer so it quits

saying its time to change your oil?

2) Has anyone put a cold air intake on their car? If so what kind of performance gain are we

talking about? I see that AFE makes one.

3) I have a small little crack on the back bumper that’s about a quarter inch. Any idea as to

how much it would cost to repair? Would the entire bumper need to be replaced?

4) The car has navigation. If the navigation DVD hasn’t been changed does it need to be

changed with an updated version?

5) What kind of know issue has people reported? Has there been any recalls on anything?

Thank you,

Gabe

I just bought a used 2006 IS 350 with about 18k miles on it. So far I love the car and I’m very happy with it. However, I do have a few questions for you already owners.

1) Does anyone change their own oil? Do you know how to reset the computer so it quits

2) Has anyone put a cold air intake on their car? If so what kind of performance gain are we

3) I have a small little crack on the back bumper that’s about a quarter inch. Any idea as to

4) The car has navigation. If the navigation DVD hasn’t been changed does it need to be

5) What kind of know issue has people reported? Has there been any recalls on anything?

Thank you,

Gabe

Gabe -

Welcome to LOC :) I just recently purchased the same vehicle with 9,450 miles w/out NAVI.

Check out the "Pinned" thread (http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=41473) related to the TSB's (Technical Service Bulletins), which are ALL still covered under your original warranty on the vehicle. The TSB's should cover all of the recall items from Lexus.

As for the vehicles NAVI DVD, most manufacturers release an update every Oct. My recommendation is to wait until Oct. to get the latest updates, especially if you live in an area with a lot of new construction that has taken place in the past. There are various threads posted on LOC regarding changing out the NAVI DVD, here is one: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=47274

Good luck and have fun!

Congrats'

A1 - Yes, I do. 5w-30 is listed on the cap and but there is a TSIB that approves the use of 5w-20. Lots of debate about oil type though. The Car and the Navi system have separate timers for maintainace. The car's timer is reset by 1 - holding down the trip milage button. 2 - Turn on the car's ignition but do not start the engine. 3 - Keep holding the trip milage button until is is reset to all zero's i.e. 000000. The Navi timers can be enabled or disabled as desired. The method is more user friendly.

A2 - Hot topic of much debate. Many people classify the 'open element' type intakes as HOT air intakes that can result in lower performace under certain conditions. Some people just like the sound. I have not used this type of intake on my car. I have a JoeZ intake tube that I like as it uses the OEM air box and intake tube. Also the cost is reasonable.

A3 - I would guess about $500-$1000 if the bumper could be repaired. Probably about $1000-$2000 if a new bumper was needed. The cost of paint repairs varies a lot so you should get some quotes and weigh your options. I think that most shops will want to replace the bumper and any other parts behind if damaged.

A4 - You should read up on the list about this one. You may have an older version that allows some of the safety features to be bypassed. If you upgrade, you may loose these features. Lots of other solutions around.

A5 - As already stated, check out the TSIB section for known issues.

Thank you,

Gabe

Gabe -

Welcome to LOC :) I just recently purchased the same vehicle with 9,450 miles w/out NAVI.

Check out the "Pinned" thread (http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=41473) related to the TSB's (Technical Service Bulletins), which are ALL still covered under your original warranty on the vehicle. The TSB's should cover all of the recall items from Lexus.

As for the vehicles NAVI DVD, most manufacturers release an update every Oct. My recommendation is to wait until Oct. to get the latest updates, especially if you live in an area with a lot of new construction that has taken place in the past. There are various threads posted on LOC regarding changing out the NAVI DVD, here is one: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=47274

Good luck and have fun!

Thanks for the links. I see that your from Colorado. How is driving it in the snow?

Gabe

Thank you,

Gabe

I have some useful information on #3. I was rear ended by someone at low speed. His insurance paid for a new bumper for my AWDIS250. The bumper was a little deformed in one spot. The original insurance estimate was about $600 to repair and repaint. Supposedly the bumper can be pushed back into shape if you heat it up - if there were any cracks on the inside, it had to be replaced. When I took it to a shop, the guys said the insurance adjuster was an idiot, they were not going to heat it up to try to bend it back into shape, and it needed to be replaced. The shop and the adjuster worked it out that it would be replaced.

The final bill for replacement and painting was about $1200 - all paid by the insurance company. I consider the shop I went to to be a fairly high end place, so you might be able to find a cheaper price if you shop around. They did a perfect job, and I can't tell that it's not the original bumper.

For anyone in my area, the shop is RNR Collision in Bellevue, WA. I am really happy with the quality of their work.

Thank you,

Gabe

I have some useful information on #3. I was rear ended by someone at low speed. His insurance paid for a new bumper for my AWDIS250. The bumper was a little deformed in one spot. The original insurance estimate was about $600 to repair and repaint. Supposedly the bumper can be pushed back into shape if you heat it up - if there were any cracks on the inside, it had to be replaced. When I took it to a shop, the guys said the insurance adjuster was an idiot, they were not going to heat it up to try to bend it back into shape, and it needed to be replaced. The shop and the adjuster worked it out that it would be replaced.

The final bill for replacement and painting was about $1200 - all paid by the insurance company. I consider the shop I went to to be a fairly high end place, so you might be able to find a cheaper price if you shop around. They did a perfect job, and I can't tell that it's not the original bumper.

For anyone in my area, the shop is RNR Collision in Bellevue, WA. I am really happy with the quality of their work.

Thanks for the info. I'll make sure I give them a call.

Gabe

Thanks for the links. I see that your from Colorado. How is driving it in the snow?

Gabe

We have only had 1 snow fall since I purchased the car, which was yesterday (got about 6" where I live - South of Denver) and I had no issues, but there wasn't much sticking to the road.