New Transmission Tricks

Hey guys,

As you know I am currently having transmission issues. Today they have changed quite a bit. I have been doing the drain and fill proceedure and I have noticed some improvement in transmission shifts. I am noticing now that the RPM gauge is rather jerky. Also my car will shift fine till the "D" light comes on. Shortly after the "D" light comes on I will get the O/D off light blinking code 63 for the #2 solenoid. Has anyone experienced this same situation before and could it be caused by a bad O2 sensor that has my trac off? Thanks in advance for any replies.

Hey guys,

As you know I am currently having transmission issues. Today they have changed quite a bit. I have been doing the drain and fill proceedure and I have noticed some improvement in transmission shifts. I am noticing now that the RPM gauge is rather jerky. Also my car will shift fine till the "D" light comes on. Shortly after the "D" light comes on I will get the O/D off light blinking code 63 for the #2 solenoid. Has anyone experienced this same situation before and could it be caused by a bad O2 sensor that has my trac off? Thanks in advance for any replies.

Why not put the MY and mileage in the post so we might be able to make a more educated guess...??

Lots of miles, >125,000, might mean the lockup clutch has gone TU.

But yes, the O2 sensor might be "in play" here. Your engine, with an O2 "fault" may not be able to provide the low RPM torque level REQUIRED to run in OD.

Code 63 is "pointing" to ONLY the POSSIBILITY that the #2 solenoid has/is failing. The diagnostic has discovered that the torque converter is still operating, not locked, even with the solenoid energized and that might be the solenoid or it might be a slipping lock up clutch.

I would fix the O2 problem indication first, and I do not mean change the O2 sensor, although in the end that might be the core problem.

Can anyone explain what the lock-up clutch does. And what happens when it is not working properly ?

My 93ls with 120k miles sometimes has a slipping feeling when shifting from 1 to 2, Feel the shift, then 1-2 seconds it engages. Also sometimes if I accelerate to fast at any speed the car looses all forward acceleration, the RPM drops , until I let off the gas and re-accelerate more slowly. It feels as if the trans. disengages when this happens.

Any thoughts?

Can anyone explain what the lock-up clutch does. And what happens when it is not working properly ?

My 93ls with 120k miles sometimes has a slipping feeling when shifting from 1 to 2, Feel the shift, then 1-2 seconds it engages. Also sometimes if I accelerate to fast at any speed the car looses all forward acceleration, the RPM drops , until I let off the gas and re-accelerate more slowly. It feels as if the trans. disengages when this happens.

Any thoughts?

Your transmission cannot have a "true" OD absent the engagement of the lockup clutch to take the torque converter "out" of the drivetrain. In 93 the LU was only used in OD so the slipping is not due to that.

"the RPM drops..."

That would seemingly indicate that the engine is "loaded" beyond its capability to produce enough torque to accelerate.

I would first check/inspect the fuel supply, pump, pressure, etc.

"1 to 2,..."

Check the ATF level/condition.