Max Performance Tires For Is350

Manolo1

I have just compared my top choices using TireRack's tests and one thing that comes to mind is the huge difference in tire weights.

The Bridgestone Pole Position rear tire (comparisons also apply to front tires) are 4 pounds heavier than Contis and Michelins which to me is an enormous difference that must be felt somehow. I constantly read about unsprung weight minimization as being a top priority in any sports car.

So, the top three tires, Continental ContiSportContact 3, Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric and Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 are quite similar in test results but the GY is 2 pounds heavier that the other two: 27 pounds vs 25. Should that difference "disqualify" the Good Years in favor of the other two?

It depends.....you should also consider the treadlife ratings of each...the heavier tires should give you more overall mileage.

:cheers:

I don't know that I agree with that statement. They are all using a high Silica compound so they maintain a higher performance level across the life of the tire, whereas before, the the tire would be really good for the first quarter of it's life, and then degrade in performance from there. And most all the high performance tires are getting between 18-25k miles on them, depending on how you drive.

You are however correct about unsprung weight and trying to minimize those effects. But I think most manufacturers have to make alot of choices for what they think their customers really want. While the 4 lbs. would feel to most drivers as a "smoother" ride, and feel a bit more solid, while lighter tires and rims would react to bumps much more, and transmit more road feel to the driver. While a performance driven customer might want that, the larger customer base might not. So it may also be a design goal to have a slightly heavier tire. I know that Goodyear is using more and more carbon fiber in thier construction and are having some really good results. I'm a Michelin Pilot Sport user myself. I love those tires. But that's a personal preference. The only other thing I could think of would be the sidewall construction and the steel belting. Which is where most of the R&D goes, way more than tread design.

Well...

here are the specs:

UTQG Data 280 AA A  280 AA A 280 AA A  280 AA A 220 AA A  220 AA A The Michelin will have the shortest life...

Max Load 1389 lbs. 1709 lbs. 1389 lbs. 1521 lbs. 1389 lbs. 1709 lbs. The GY have the lowest load, but ample for the IS350...

Tread Depth 9/32" 10/32" 11/32" 11/32" 10/32" 10/32" Here is where the extra weight of the GYs is showing (more tread) which may be the reason to buy them i/o "disqualifying" them

Tire Weight 21 lbs. 25 lbs. 24 lbs. 27 lbs. 21 lbs. 25 lbs.

Thanks for the comments I will give a very serious consideration to the Good Years, specially considering they were the top rated tire in the TireRack test!

Three pairs of data, the first for the Contis, second Good Years, third Michelins.

The first number on ea. pair is for the front tires and the second for rears...

I agree that the way one drives & maintains their tires greatly increases it's treadlife.....but my point was one should not overlook it's overall treadwear rating. ;)

:cheers:

• 1 month later...