Need Egr Pipe

silvermistLS

Hi guys,

My car has a slight (very slight) vibration at around 1200 to 1400 rpm (93LS with 113K). Lexus said it was most likely a crack in the EGR pipe (the tech did a TLC inspection). My question is, where can I get this pipe online guys? Lexus wanted 1200.00 total for the pipe, I said no thanks. Is it really complicated to change, or is lexus just price gauging!?

Another thing I wanted some info on... The car is super smooth and a joy to drive.. only thing I've noticed that is a bit different from other cars is as follows: when I'm at a dead stop, and I floor the gas pedal all the way down, it doesn't accelerate violently like most cars do.... there is a slight delay, and starts to accelerate moderately then a second later when it's doing say 20 or 30 mph.. the storm really comes on, and doesn't let up. I tied all settings possible.. ECT off, OD off.. nothing.. no Ooomph!! off the line. Is this just the way the cars are because they are luxury vehicles?

And thanks in advance about info on the EGR pipe (and will I need gaskets or anything else?)

anyone?...

Search:

egr pipe

I had the same problem with the egr pipe, all I did was break the pipe off, and took the ends that bolt onto the intake manifold & right exhaust manifold & had them capped off at a muffler shop threw them back on & runs fine

anyone?...

Search:

egr pipe

I had the same problem with the egr pipe, all I did was break the pipe off, and took the ends that bolt onto the intake manifold & right exhaust manifold & had them capped off at a muffler shop threw them back on & runs fine

I used a bench vise to bend them over and a then hammer to beat the ends shut.

anyone?...

Search:

egr pipe

That would be more effective if there wasnt a 3-letter limitation in the searchbox!

Anyways.

For my 91, I was quoted the following:

EGR pipe 25601-50010---$132.66

Gasket 25634-50010---$4.07

Gasket 25628-50010---$0.91

..from this site: http://parts.irontoad.com/l_ord.htm

So the pipe and two gaskets, one where it attaches to the intake manifold and one where it attaches to the exhaust pipe.

From my labor and personal experience attempting the fix, it is a very intensive repair. Lexus usually drops the transmission to get to the pipe, yet some have done it themselves. I personally cannot see how it is possible without dropping the transmission. Thats why the cost from lexus is so high, its 8 or so hours of labor, plus parts.

For the vibration, if its simply a vibration, without the engine running rough or acting strangely, I would look into motor/transmission mounts first.

As for the acceleration, due to gearing it is fairly slow off the line, but the torque really hits as the rpms get higher, hence the delay. If it is an abnormal slowness for you, check the catalytic converters. If they are clogged, that would cause poor low-end power.

If Lexus is telling you $1200 with it was "most likely" a crack in the EGR pipe, I'd want an estimate that's a little more certain before spending that kind of money. A good muffler shop will surprise you with the mods they can do. You could probably get a custom flex pipe to replace the oem. Get a shop to look at it and give you an opinion.

anyone?...

Search:

egr pipe

That would be more effective if there wasnt a 3-letter limitation in the searchbox!

Anyways.

For my 91, I was quoted the following:

EGR pipe 25601-50010---$132.66

Gasket 25634-50010---$4.07

Gasket 25628-50010---$0.91

..from this site: http://parts.irontoad.com/l_ord.htm

So the pipe and two gaskets, one where it attaches to the intake manifold and one where it attaches to the exhaust pipe.

From my labor and personal experience attempting the fix, it is a very intensive repair. Lexus usually drops the transmission to get to the pipe, yet some have done it themselves. I personally cannot see how it is possible without dropping the transmission. Thats why the cost from lexus is so high, its 8 or so hours of labor, plus parts.

For the vibration, if its simply a vibration, without the engine running rough or acting strangely, I would look into motor/transmission mounts first.

As for the acceleration, due to gearing it is fairly slow off the line, but the torque really hits as the rpms get higher, hence the delay. If it is an abnormal slowness for you, check the catalytic converters. If they are clogged, that would cause poor low-end power.

It was exceedingly easy to replace the EGR pipe on our '95 LS400 without dropping the engine or transmission.

It was exceedingly easy to replace the EGR pipe on our '95 LS400 without dropping the engine or transmission.

I would love to know how you reached the fifth bolt! Unless the 95 is slightly differently arranged, there were all sort of tubing blocking access from above, and next to no room to reach even halfway up from the bottom. My hands must be too big. :(

WOW thanks all!!!

Yeah, Lexus said the EGR pipe was cracked for sure.. and it would be about an 8 hour charge. But I'm certain that it can be done without removing the trans.. just doesn't seem like it's well thought out if the trans has to come off... We'll I'm gonna order the part, and have it installed by my own mechanic. As with the off the line power... I guess it's fine.. I was just wondering, as most cars I've driven tend to be really responsive off the line. But I doubt the car has any issues with the cats, since the power at low RPM power when rolling is superb.

~al

Hi guys,

My car has a slight (very slight) vibration at around 1200 to 1400 rpm (93LS with 113K). Lexus said it was most likely a crack in the EGR pipe (the tech did a TLC inspection). My question is, where can I get this pipe online guys? Lexus wanted 1200.00 total for the pipe, I said no thanks. Is it really complicated to change, or is lexus just price gauging!?

Another thing I wanted some info on... The car is super smooth and a joy to drive.. only thing I've noticed that is a bit different from other cars is as follows: when I'm at a dead stop, and I floor the gas pedal all the way down, it doesn't accelerate violently like most cars do.... there is a slight delay, and starts to accelerate moderately then a second later when it's doing say 20 or 30 mph.. the storm really comes on, and doesn't let up. I tied all settings possible.. ECT off, OD off.. nothing.. no Ooomph!! off the line. Is this just the way the cars are because they are luxury vehicles?

And thanks in advance about info on the EGR pipe (and will I need gaskets or anything else?)

egr pipe can be found in austin texas at the lexus dealer for 477.32 i have the same problem with the same year car and i am about to get it fixed

Hi guys,

egr pipe can be found in austin texas at the lexus dealer for 477.32 i have the same problem with the same year car and i am about to get it fixed

No, I found the EGR pipe online for 132.66