Steering Pretensioner Adjustment

• 3 weeks later...

im reading both the old post so its gonna be a min, but whats is this tsb they keep referring to? i got my tires replaced,filled with nitrogen,new pads,new rotors, alignment and after 2 weeks my shake is back...........but not as bad as b4

brian

ok i read the first 14 pages on the one thread and then started readin the 8 pages on the other thread and got a database error message no matter what page i tried........will keep it up and see if i can read it later! this steering pretensioner seems more of a cover up then of a fix though

brian

ok so finished both those posts...........good write ups i think i will try this! thanks rickgus for the posts. oh and i have a picture to load if u have read the other posts i have a great diy tool for the allen part! will snap a picture l8r!

brian

Yeah, this whole issue is way wierd. Hard to believe Lexus would build a car with a stupid problem like this for so long. I bought a Toyota to AVOID stupid things like this. :angry: Aw well. I'm just hoping this is a long term fix, and not something that'll have to be done every so often.

hahaha wait till i post these pics........i got a tool built right for it! i tried lifting the car with the forklift and getting to it but i need more leverage so im gonna try and borrow a rack and do it!

brian

ok so.......the tool to use that is a DIY made piece with a nut (its from a honda crankshaft) that fits into the lexus pretensioner,welded onto a 1/2 socket. i did this as its a little mechanics trick for big bolts like that but also cause i couldnt find a allen or a socket big enough for that! i am having problems with the wrench though getting it to stay on the lip of the locking nutt so im gonna look in a different direction for that! so as of now i couldnt get the locking nutt loose so i will try again later!

brian

post-62320-1211824711_thumb.jpg

post-62320-1211824718_thumb.jpg

post-62320-1211824725_thumb.jpg

post-62320-1211824731_thumb.jpg

post-62320-1211824736_thumb.jpg

post-62320-1211824742_thumb.jpg

post-62320-1211824749_thumb.jpg

post-62320-1211824754_thumb.jpg

post-62320-1211824760_thumb.jpg

post-62320-1211824766_thumb.jpg

post-62320-1211824773_thumb.jpg

I've got a huge wrench set, and used a 1-11/16" wrench(the "open" end). It's a bit sloppy, but did the job without damaging the nut.

It's a bit touchy getting the adjustment just right, as they talked about in that post. First time I adjusted it, the steering wouldn't quite self-center like they said, but the shaking was virtually gone. I backed it off a little, self-centers ok, but some of the shake came back. I need to go about half-way between, and I think it'll be great. I'll do that at next oil change.