98 - 00 Ls400 Gas Mileage

dantefr1

I am curious to know how everyone's gas mileage is. I am again considering a 1998 - 2000 LS400 and want to get an idea of the gas mileage everyone gets. Also, in your response, please specify city or highway driving or mixed. Also, what else should I look out for in a search for an LS? Don't need to get into really specific items, just a few bullet points would be great.

Thanks for your help!

My 1998 LS400 with 90,000 miles on the clock gets about 20-24 highway and 14-18 around town. The car may need a tune up soon with new plugs and filters, so my mileage may be lower than some other LS400s.

around town I get about 20 and on the hiway about 27 with cruise set at 75.

18 driving hard city ,

31 straight highway

Pretty much the same.

I just drove to Toronto and back ... 300klm, including some city stop and go traffic.

My info center reads 8.8L/100 klm, which works out to 32mpg, based on the slightly larger imperial gallon.

Speed was 75mph, tire pressure at 36lbs cold, 91 octane gas.

• 2 weeks later...

I have 2 98 ls 400's. The wife (leadfoot) gets around 16 mpg in town. I (lightfoot) get around 22 mpg (with air on) around town. When I drive her car I get the same as my car. It definitely depends on the driver. I also get 28 or more on the hiway with both cars.

Good luck!

I got from 18-25 City, and from 24-32 HWY. The AC in the City Driving affects the MPG, but opening the Moonroof in a nice day will not affect your MPG. But the less leadfoot you are the better MPG you will get. I used to get 18 in the city all the time, but I learn how to controll it and I am getting usually in the 20's. In the HWY 27 is the norm, over that is a remarkable day and with good conditions. 52 MPH and 62 MPH are some of the best ranges to get fuel economy, you could find this out using the real MPG feature in the car. CPR

That extra gear must really help out on the 98-00 LS. My 96 gets around 18-19 mpg in the city and about 24-25mpg on the highway. I can't imagine getting 28+ mpg on the highway. I need to look at changing my plugs and wires to see if I can boost this.

I got from 18-25 City, and from 24-32 HWY. The AC in the City Driving affects the MPG, but opening the Moonroof in a nice day will not affect your MPG. But the less leadfoot you are the better MPG you will get. I used to get 18 in the city all the time, but I learn how to controll it and I am getting usually in the 20's. In the HWY 27 is the norm, over that is a remarkable day and with good conditions. 52 MPH and 62 MPH are some of the best ranges to get fuel economy, you could find this out using the real MPG feature in the car. CPR

From Houston to San Antonio on I-10, average 26 miles per gallon. Driving around Houston, average 17 miles per gallon. This is for my 2000 Lexus LS400 with 58,000 miles on it.

Todd

I get around 25 on the highway and around 20 in city. Tank average is about 22. I recently started running regular gas only and have not noticed any difference in preformance or gas mileage. I try to put a tank of 93 in about every 4th time I fill up and use 87 for the other three. Is anyone else running unleaded instead of premium gas on a regular basis :-?

I get 39mpg highway (6-8 Liters per 100km) and 21 (11 L per 100 km city).

SK?? 39mpg Not in an LS400

My 1990 LS400 gets around 19mpg in city and on my trip last weekend I drove 391.1 miles on 16.848 USG = 23.21 mpg. 20 miles of that were in city, another 175 miles in 4 lane with lights, and the remainder was Interstate. Speed on Interstates was 75-90 for the most part.

I use 93 octane, Mobil 1, K&N filters, BFG Traction TA/V tires 225/60VR-15 @ 34lbs.

My 2004 ES330 gets around 23 mpg city and 29-31 Interstate. I imagine that if I was to drive the speed limit (which I won't) I could get 33 out of the ES and 27 out of the LS.

I am curious to know how everyone's gas mileage is. I am again considering a 1998 - 2000 LS400 and want to get an idea of the gas mileage everyone gets. Also, in your response, please specify city or highway driving or mixed. Also, what else should I look out for in a search for an LS? Don't need to get into really specific items, just a few bullet points would be great.

Thanks for your help!

I get 9L per 100Kms on a trip at 100K/Hr and 15Ltr per 100 for the 10k drive to work through town.

Please remember i drive a 98-2000 LS which is a very different car than previous or later years. Its engine and transmission are made perfect for highway cruising speeds and do not use gas like others.

I use ultra premium synthetic oils, new plugs clean air filter , cold air intake that has air being forced into the intake making the car run lean and cooler. Also i have almost perfect alignment and i keep my tire pressure almost to the max to get the best mileage on the highway.

I know this is for UCF20-II's but in my 97 the most I've got highway was 27.8mpg avg with bad plugs bad wires bad filters, basically a lot of neglect. I need to take another long trip and see what I can squeeze out of her. I would be suprised if I got 28, 29, or maybe even ~30mpg. She's runnin like a champ now.

The extra gear and VVT-i does help in the 20-II's

Good luck on the purchase. Keep us posted. :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...
I get around 25 on the highway and around 20 in city. Tank average is about 22. I recently started running regular gas only and have not noticed any difference in preformance or gas mileage. I try to put a tank of 93 in about every 4th time I fill up and use 87 for the other three. Is anyone else running unleaded instead of premium gas on a regular basis :-?

I get worse mileage on my '05 LS430 than on my '00 LS400.

There are some things about the '00 model that are better than the '05 model, believe it or not.

Both great cars.

I've been running regular over the last 3 months and my mpg numbers are similar to yours. The only difference I've noticed is a very slight decrease in power. Of course, with gas prices being as they are, I don't have my foot in it, so that doesn't really matter. I was doing as you're doing with rotating premium, but I run regular exclusively now.

Please remember i drive a 98-2000 LS which is a very different car than previous or later years. Its engine and transmission are made perfect for highway cruising speeds and do not use gas like others.

I use ultra premium synthetic oils, new plugs clean air filter , cold air intake that has air being forced into the intake making the car run lean and cooler. Also i have almost perfect alignment and i keep my tire pressure almost to the max to get the best mileage on the highway.

who makes your cold air intake? did you notice a big mpg boost when you switched?