Ignition Problem?

Exec

The ignition switch in my 2004 LS does not always want to turn on (it does have a smart key, that is activated and works) Today the warning light and a message came on...said this...S/T Lock Failure. According to the owners manual it states when this message comes on that the interlock cable for steering lock is faulty, the master warning light flashes, a warning tone sounds and the message appears. Contact your Lexus dealer ASAP. So my question is, does anyone know about this problem? Is it an easy fix? I'm a 105 miles from the dealer, would a toyota dealer be able to fix this? Thanks any help is appreciated!

The solenoid that releases the steering wheel from being locked until you press the start button is acting up.

It may need to be lubed or you parked with the wheels angled and it caused the wheel to push hard against it.

The solenoid that releases the steering wheel from being locked until you press the start button is acting up.

It may need to be lubed or you parked with the wheels angled and it caused the wheel to push hard against it.

Thanks!...it is at the dealers right now, and they can't seem to find anything wrong with it. I did show them the repair bulletin on the problem, and they can't (won't) fix it if they cannot recreate the problem. I hope they come pick me up the next time it happens!

• 2 weeks later...
Turning the wheel left to right should aleviate the problem.

Ask them to lube it for you.

Thanks! it is fixed!! They had the car for 4 days and really could not re-create the problem. I think they jiggled a few things, a little lube here and there, and it's fixed. The best service I have ever had....they drove over 100 miles to pick up my car and left me with a new '08 to use with 3/4 tank of gas for the 4 days....were in phone contact with me numerous times...returned my car washed and another 3/4 tank of gas all for $135.00. They probably had a couple of hours in it, plus some fustration. I can highly reccomend Johnson Lexus of Raleigh, NC. There will be no question when my time comes for a trade, where I will go.