2008 Gx470-satellite Radio

soundz

I'm in the process of buying a 2008 GX470, my second Lexus. (Still have my 2000 RX300.) The dealer had to locate what I wanted and will have it in a couple days. But, I just decided to get XM for it and was told the XM Sat. Radio is not factory installed. The sales person tells me they can add it for $600. Sounds a little steep, especially if these vehicles are somehow prepped for Satellite use which I assumed they would be. I'm getting the Navig/Levinson Audio/Camera/Bluetooth, etc option.

Does anyone have any info about this? And if I should go through a 3rd party installer for the XM? I want it to work well and seamlessly with the rest of my radio.

Soundz

I have a 2006 GX. Dealer said you can't install XM because I didn't have the "am/sat" button.

I went to local company Sound Advice (known nationally as Tweeter.com). They ordered the needed equipment and installed it for about $500. The equipment alone was almost $400.

All I had to do was press the AM button twice, showed the dealer they went DUH!!!! :huh:

Satellite radio works great.

Mark

Hmmm... My local dealer wanted $900. I called another dealer about 35 miles away and they quoted me between $800 to $850 and told me it was about a four hour install. The Lexus website lists both XM and Sirius @ $486 not including install labor.

I was told that the factory sticker price that you see on price sheets is cheaper because it IS installed at the factory. It costs the dealership more to do it. But, JimsGX's $900 quote is worse than the $600 I was quoted. I've gone ahead and paid the deposit on the vehicle (they're getting it from another city) but I'm checking around before deciding if a Lexus XM install is the best way to go. They claim they have the best ability to do it so that it is part of your sound system without adding any extra equipment. Which may be true. The optional Nav/Levinson system is listed being set up for XM.

I was told that the factory sticker price that you see on price sheets is cheaper because it IS installed at the factory. It costs the dealership more to do it. But, JimsGX's $900 quote is worse than the $600 I was quoted. I've gone ahead and paid the deposit on the vehicle (they're getting it from another city) but I'm checking around before deciding if a Lexus XM install is the best way to go. They claim they have the best ability to do it so that it is part of your sound system without adding any extra equipment. Which may be true. The optional Nav/Levinson system is listed being set up for XM.

The Lexus Web site price comes with an asterisk.

XM® Satellite Radio $486 [3]

[3]Prices for options/accessories/packages are Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) as of posting date. Actual dealer prices may vary. Installation fee not included. Lexus strives to build vehicles to match customer interest and thus they are typically built with popular options and option packages. Not all options/accessories/packages are available separately and some may not be available in all regions of the country. If you would prefer a vehicle with no or different options, contact your dealer to check for current availability or the possibility of placing a special order. Not all available accessories are shown.

• 2 weeks later...
I was told that the factory sticker price that you see on price sheets is cheaper because it IS installed at the factory. It costs the dealership more to do it.

The factory approved XM radio is either installed at the port or at the dealership. It is not installed when the GX is being assembled in Japan. Same applies for the tow hitch.

• 14 years later...