Buying A 2002 Lexus Es300 Paint Advice Needed

Guys I just sold my 1997 ES300 with 157K miles on it. It is now time to upgrade!

I am considering a 2002 ES300 that has 78K miles on it. It is in pretty good shape and also has navigation. My only concern is this: The car is black, and it looks like it wasn't washed/waxed regularly and spent most of it's life under the hot Houston sun. As a result, the paint is not in very good shape. It has a very dull look to it. But most importantly, the hood has white "smudges" all over it. The kind you get on the windshield from the bugs. But I tried removing one of these smudges with my finger, but couldn't, which leads me to believe that the paint might be permanently damaged in these spots. Look at the picture:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3008/245065...728d0948a_o.jpg

See the two arrows pointing on the hood? Well it doesn't look too bad in the pic, but white spots like this are all over the hood. What do you guys suggest? Is this something that is fixable? Is it a deal breaker? I love the car, but can't live with a crappy exterior.

try buffing the out, it may be sun burned or wha ti called blistered. This may be from too much exposure to the sun. its hard too see the spots, could you plz get a closer picture to see it better?

Guys I just sold my 1997 ES300 with 157K miles on it. It is now time to upgrade!

I am considering a 2002 ES300 that has 78K miles on it. It is in pretty good shape and also has navigation. My only concern is this: The car is black, and it looks like it wasn't washed/waxed regularly and spent most of it's life under the hot Houston sun. As a result, the paint is not in very good shape. It has a very dull look to it. But most importantly, the hood has white "smudges" all over it. The kind you get on the windshield from the bugs. But I tried removing one of these smudges with my finger, but couldn't, which leads me to believe that the paint might be permanently damaged in these spots. Look at the picture:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3008/245065...728d0948a_o.jpg

See the two arrows pointing on the hood? Well it doesn't look too bad in the pic, but white spots like this are all over the hood. What do you guys suggest? Is this something that is fixable? Is it a deal breaker? I love the car, but can't live with a crappy exterior.

I was also thinking of getting professional detailing done once I get it--just not sure if the paint is at a "point of no return"

I agree guys, I need a better picture. This was just from the dealer's ad. I will take a close-up pic next time I go there. Thanks!

Interesting ideas guys, but I have no experience with this. Can someone point me in the right direction....where can I get a Used Paint Analysis? And what is a thk meter?

The guy (Randy&Bonnie) is a troll. Forget him...I thickness meter would help but as noted before try a vinegar bath (50/50). Then maybe a compound (good one). That with a rotary would help bigtime. If that does not work with the proper pad, I have no idea.

Based on that, I own a home in Houston (Katy- Cinco Ranch) and it is murder on paint. Between the rain and love bugs it kills the paint. Nevermind the trucks on I-10 which kill windshields and paint...BIGTIME! People whine about little things up north and down here, WAY different.

Based on that, I own a home in Houston (Katy- Cinco Ranch) and it is murder on paint. Between the rain and love bugs it kills the paint. Nevermind the trucks on I-10 which kill windshields and paint...BIGTIME! People whine about little things up north and down here, WAY different.

I hear ya. Already on the second set of windshields on both my cars.

The guy (Randy&Bonnie) is a troll. Forget him...

He's dealt with.

The spots are etched in bug hits. You may not be able to remove them completely, but a competent detailer can reduce them a lot and make the car look much better overall.

The issue is bugs that have hit the hood and baked on before they were washed off.