Crystal White Paint And Yellow Spots

I had this posted in the RX forum, it was suggested I post this in this forum instead. Hope you can help.

I have a 2007 RX350 with crystal white paint. It was purchased Feb. 20, 2007 and was brought back to the dealer in early June for what looked like small rust spots in the paint. They used rubbing compound to get the spots out and said I should be all set. In August it was back again for more spots, same solution, more rubbing compound. This time I was told I could just stay on top of the spots at home by rubbing them out whenever they popped up and I was given a bottle of liquid spray wax to use after I was done with the rubbing compound. This is my 2nd RX, we have owned over a dozen Toyota vehicles, a couple of BMW M3's, ect., but we have never had to babysit a factory paint job before. One person at the dealership told us that it could be rail dust if it was brought in the train, but they wouldn't give me an invoice either time that it was brought in for yellow spots in the paint. I have called Lexus and the rep on the phone sounded like this is the first time they had ever heard of this problem. Anyone else have this problem with their paint and if so, is there anything Lexus did to correct this???

Hi

I have exactly same problem. I have Rx400h bought in May2007, same crystal white color. From last two weeks I am observing these small microscopic points looks like rust. I am pretty sure its not rust because some of them I can rub off and some of them I can't. Also they are there on bumper also which is not metal part.

My friend is suggesting me that its a paint defect and I should contact Lexus to get it fixed through corrosion warranty.

I am going to contact the dealer tomorrow. I was wondering if you can give some more information on this. Please email me with contact information. I can give you my number if you want.

Thanks

Rust Spots:

Corroded ferrous contaminations, small particles of metal (ferrous oxide) created by railroad wheels abrading the metal tracks, or airborne brake dust from rotor abrasion, these particles become airborne and pollute paint film surfaces. New cars that are transported by rail are at extra risk.

When moisture combines with the metal particles rust is formed, creating small orange / brown rust spots (especially visible on light coloured paint (white, silver, etc) It should be removed as soon as it’s noticed. These can usually be removed with detailer’s clay or an abrasive polish and then neutralised with a suitable rust inhibitor.

If the rust spots become allied with acid rain it may permeate the paint surface, causing the paint to 'bubble' if this should happen the affected surface should be treated with a suitable rust inhibitor to avoid the rust contaminating other areas

(See also Detailers Clay, Corrosion and/or Decontamination)

Rust Decontamination (Paint surface):

Corrosion (rust) destroys metal by an electro-chemical reaction with water as the catalyst (water + ozone (an oxidizer) moisture + oxygen). Detailer’s clay will remove the ferrous metal brake dust that acts as a conduit for moisture to penetrate the paint down to the base metal. (See also Reactivity)

A three step neutralization and wash system formulated to remove industrial fallout, rail dust, hard water deposits, acid rain residue, salt and other forms of pollutants. This system (Auto Internationals A, B, & C System) comprises; (a) Acid Neutralizer (B) Alkaline Neutralizer (use in conjunction with detailer’s clay) and © a pH 7.0 Surface Conditioner, which safely removes both surface and subsurface contamination (i.e. rust) that collects on a painted finish which includes, industrial fallout (IFO), rail dust, acid rain, hard water spots, road tar, bird excrement, waxes/silicones, oxidation, adhesive residue, road grime and rust stains introduced via road salt, ferrous metal deposits. Auto International - http://www.http://www.autoint.com/autostor...Sellers..P.asp/

After the paint surface has been subjected to a chemical cleaning its protective layer (s) have been removed and the paint surface left without protection, so it is very important that a wax or polymer protection be applied immediately.

But I don't understand why on bumpers, which are plastic....

The brake dust is rusting, not the underlying metal or plastic or whatever. The metal brake dust is embedded in the paint from an exterior source so rusts from the exterior inward into the paint. The key is to remove the brake dust or rail dust from the surface. The clay bar treatment does it quite well if done correctly.

Hi icon st,

How did you make out at Lexus? At first my RX only had the spots on the plastic parts, (the front and back bumpers and that lower side strip along the side of the vehicle). Now they are everywhere, especially on the rear door and back bumper.

togwt, the dealer has now said there is a process they can do so the spots never come back again, I'm wondering if it's the process you have outlined. They are now saying they think it may be rail dust and they have a memo in case paint gets these yellow "rust" spots. Doesn't that procedure also strip the clear coat off the paint and wouldn't Lexus have to replace the clear coating?

I was really happy with my flint mica RX, I wish I had kept that one at this point.

togwt, the dealer has now said there is a process they can do so the spots never come back again, I'm wondering if it's the process you have outlined. They are now saying they think it may be rail dust and they have a memo in case paint gets these yellow "rust" spots. Doesn't that procedure also strip the clear coat off the paint and wouldn't Lexus have to replace the clear coating?

The process outlined in my answer is recommened by OEM to dealer's to rectify this problem. It will not remove the clear coat (I use this process bi-annually as I live near the beach)

Togwt,

Thanks for getting back to me, the vehicle is going into the dealership on Tuesday. They said a rep from Lexus will be there, so at least we will finally get a work order from them. They refused to give me one for the last 2 times they did the rubbing compound on it. I bought it the end of February and it was in for spots the first week of June and again in August.

Icon, how did you make out with your spots???

• 14 years later...
On 4/28/2008 at 10:49 AM, cfao said:

I had this posted in the RX forum, it was suggested I post this in this forum instead. Hope you can help.

I have a 2007 RX350 with crystal white paint. It was purchased Feb. 20, 2007 and was brought back to the dealer in early June for what looked like small rust spots in the paint. They used rubbing compound to get the spots out and said I should be all set. In August it was back again for more spots, same solution, more rubbing compound. This time I was told I could just stay on top of the spots at home by rubbing them out whenever they popped up and I was given a bottle of liquid spray wax to use after I was done with the rubbing compound. This is my 2nd RX, we have owned over a dozen Toyota vehicles, a couple of BMW M3's, ect., but we have never had to babysit a factory paint job before. One person at the dealership told us that it could be rail dust if it was brought in the train, but they wouldn't give me an invoice either time that it was brought in for yellow spots in the paint. I have called Lexus and the rep on the phone sounded like this is the first time they had ever heard of this problem. Anyone else have this problem with their paint and if so, is there anything Lexus did to correct this???

I recently also ran into this problem on the ES350 which my daughter is driving. I used the Rust Removal purchased from Amazon for some rust spots around the roof top , engine hood and trunk top. I wash off the car after sprayed the rust removal and waxed the car 3 times on last Saturday and Sunday. Unfortunately those rust come back with thousands of rust spots and today. I used the rust removal again and add clay to clean those rust spots and add Torque Ceramic Shine and to see if it can give the car better protection. I will put one more layer of ceramic shine on tomorrow to see and keep you posted.

I got other LS460 and Toyota Highlander and only got very few spots not like this ES350 with thousands of rust spots.

Best regards,

Steve Lin