Group Buy For New-style Gs Taillights

I am planning to organize a Group Buy for new-style taillights.

Before posting firm details, I want to know how many people are interested.

Price needs to be confirmed, but will be likely approx USD310 - 330 depending on no of participants.

This price will include shipping and also will include the wiring harness and a new set of bulbs.

I will wait for a few days and before deciding on the GB.

Please post your interest and comments.

Less than most charge, however ebay has them for $275 plus $50 shipping(so about the same). The sellers from Japan. I dont know how reliable he is, but he has a good feedback rating.

Heres the link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=2446840764

If you're in an area, like LA, where theres lots of salvage yards around they usually charge about $125 each. Thats how I got mine and they look new. It takes a lot of calling around though.

Hey Vanzant,

don't spoil this GB for others. :angry:

Also, don't mislead people with your Ebay pricing. The $275 prices are WITHOUT SHIPPING. Shipping is another $38 dollars for 3 weeks shipping time or another $48 for express shipping.

That makes the total price: $323!

My estimated price is with Express shipping.

I do not mind discussing pricing and other items, but do not post untrue information! :angry::angry::angry:

Didnt mean to mislead, in fact I did write it was plus shipping. I didnt read all of it, so I dont know how good it is. Seems to be about the same cost. I also suggested salvage yards, where I got mine. I thought these forums were about helping others get information.

I didnt discourage your group buy, just gave other options. In fact the group buy is still much cheaper than other places like lextasy.com. So I apologize if you took offense to it. Good luck with your group buy.

Hey Vanzant don't worry, some ppl get kinda anal about these things. I'm sure JDM is cool and maybe misread what you were saying. This site is about helping other Lexus Onwers...most of these people are cool! ANYWAY! what salvage yard did you get your tail lights at? there are none close to me, and instead of the GB, i might have mine ordered like you got yours. I have had experience w/ salvage yards, b/c i bought my 99 GS400 w/ a cracked Navigation Screen and had to have it replaced. Retail was between 7-10 grand, and i got it for $800!!!! Def. a Huge difference. How much did you pay for your 03-04 tail lights, and where did you get them from? Also, if you have the info, do you have a number i could maybe call to see if there are anymore? Thanks!

Blaze!

Sky, as mentioned in a previous post:

The headlights covers are expensive, expect something like $400 - 500 a set.

The black chrome, or greenish, or other type of headlights will all be around the same price.bv

Another thing is shipping. These taillights are packed in boxes that are 25" x 16" x 16" each, so shipping will be expensive!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey pp,

I know you like the new look, but come on even 300!! for lights just for a cleaner look, or maybe so ppl will think you gotta newer model , seems not worth that kinda cash. Why not go for the jdm, for prob the same dough (sinnce many are willing), which are more rare, and pretty cooler, a subtle after market touch, with the clear line, and no ORANGE!

The taillights I sell are OEM Toyota Aristo parts.

But these look exactly the same as the US new-style taillights.

The once you are talking about (the ones without the amber part) are custom-made taillights by a Japanese aftermarket company. They will cost USD1000 - 1200 a set. No worth it in my humble opinion.

Hey gs3.ca, well yes of course i agree if the price is that steep! But the point was to get a nicer more exciting look from the oem, for the same money!. I'm sure if you keep looking there is a much much lower price. I m sure i came acrses it, but so far i saved a bazillion of pics, but i havent organized thenm and sites, i found.

probably you can get it cheaper than $1200, but those are not OEM JDM taillights, and are either handmade or custommade. These definitely will cost more than the OEM taillights.

OEM JDM taillights have the amber part. I order the taillights directly from Toyota Japan using the part no for the Aristo, so I know what I am talking about.

JDM stands for Japan Domestic Market, or products that were originally developed with the Japan market in mind.

Nowadays, a lot of these products can be have elsewhere.

Your last pic is a pic of the original 98 - 00 taillights, but where the amber parts were removed. The original taillights consisted of several layers of colored plastic and if you are carefully you can first melt/cut away the glue and then take out the amber plastic and reseal the taillight.

This can be done professionally, and in Japan there are companies that sell these modified taillights. (e.g. Junction Produce)

You can also do this DIY, takes a lot of work, but is possible.

The other, new style taillights, without the amber are different. Due to a new design, these taillights do not have seperate amber plastic layers inside, but it is integrated with the other colored plastic. It is impossible? to do it DIY.

However, Junction Produce found a way to clear the amber part (prob. a very expensive process), and therefore are selling these taillights for very expensive.

All the OEM Toyota/Lexus UK/European, Asian (Aristo, GS) and US taillights have the amber part.

Lex_chick,

The 2 pics you posted are of pre-2001 taillights which had gone through a process of having its amber film removed to give it the clear look.

The process is DIY-able, but very hard and often ends in disaster. I've heard stories of melted lens (from the heatgun), fogged up lens (coz they are not glued back properly), or just broken lens in general.

Now, with the new 2001+ taillights, that same process is NOT applicable. The new style lights already come with amber lens and it takes a lengthy, even more difficult process to remove the lens, hand-carve a new clear lens and put it back on the car. The cheapest clear 2001+ lens I know online is direct from Japan about $800, made by some unknown company. The JP version is $1200 and there are only 3 or so people in America who own them.

I think Guru's price for this truly JDM new style taillights are awesome coz they cost a lot more elsewhere. :blink: