Extended Warranty / Pre-paid Service Plans

Just got my 2008 IS 250 AWD this weekend. I think I'm going to love it! :D The warranty is 4 yrs / 50k miles. I can buy the warranty up to 7 yrs / 75k miles for $1900. I am tempted, but not sure. They are also offering a pre-paid service plan (oil changes, etc., all routine maintenance), for $1,815 for the first 5 yrs / 50 k miles. Somewhat tempting, but probably will pass. Any thoughts on either? Anybody do these? Thanks!

Just got my 2008 IS 250 AWD this weekend. I think I'm going to love it! :D The warranty is 4 yrs / 50k miles. I can buy the warranty up to 7 yrs / 75k miles for $1900. I am tempted, but not sure. They are also offering a pre-paid service plan (oil changes, etc., all routine maintenance), for $1,815 for the first 5 yrs / 50 k miles. Somewhat tempting, but probably will pass. Any thoughts on either? Anybody do these? Thanks!

Skip the service plan. With a few exceptions the car won't require anything but oil changes or a few air filter changes you can do yourself in that time. It'll require 10 oil changes (if you use dinosaur oil) or 5 if you use a good synthetic. That's hardly worth $1800+ dollars.

As for the warranty, you can get it considerably cheaper elsewhere. Email TDietrich@FactoryDiscountWarranty.com

He works for Toyota of Greenfield in MA. (Any Lexus or Toyota dealer can sell you the same warranty)... you should be able to get the 7 year/100 k warranty for at least a few hundred less than you're being quoted for the 75k one.

As to the warranty being worth it, if you plan to keep the car that long I think it is, doublly so if your car has expensive-to-fix options on it (Nav, ML, Adaptive cruise, etc)

Skip the service plan. With a few exceptions the car won't require anything but oil changes or a few air filter changes you can do yourself in that time. It'll require 10 oil changes (if you use dinosaur oil) or 5 if you use a good synthetic. That's hardly worth $1800+ dollars.

As for the warranty, you can get it considerably cheaper elsewhere. Email TDietrich@FactoryDiscountWarranty.com

He works for Toyota of Greenfield in MA. (Any Lexus or Toyota dealer can sell you the same warranty)... you should be able to get the 7 year/100 k warranty for at least a few hundred less than you're being quoted for the 75k one.

As to the warranty being worth it, if you plan to keep the car that long I think it is, doublly so if your car has expensive-to-fix options on it (Nav, ML, Adaptive cruise, etc)

Great information. Thanks very much!

I bought the extended warranty and the service plan for my 2008 IS250 when I bought the car last month. I agree that I could have gotten a warranty plan cheaper somewhere else, but past experience has taught me that those plans are not always honored. (I experienced nothing but heartache with an "outside" extended warranty on a previous vehicle) As far as the service plan it's true that you can get service done cheaper than the dealer and do some yourself. However, my wife has bought the plan on both Lexus' that she has owned and we found that the dealer will perform work for her outside the typical service and still not charge her. She had brakes, carpet, trim pieces and other items replaced at not cost and not under warranty. Friends that own Lexus do not have the service plan and have not experienced the extra effort that we have. I don't know if it's coincidence, luck or Karma, but I am a believer in the service plan.

I bought the extended warranty and the service plan for my 2008 IS250 when I bought the car last month. I agree that I could have gotten a warranty plan cheaper somewhere else, but past experience has taught me that those plans are not always honored. (I experienced nothing but heartache with an "outside" extended warranty on a previous vehicle) As far as the service plan it's true that you can get service done cheaper than the dealer and do some yourself. However, my wife has bought the plan on both Lexus' that she has owned and we found that the dealer will perform work for her outside the typical service and still not charge her. She had brakes, carpet, trim pieces and other items replaced at not cost and not under warranty. Friends that own Lexus do not have the service plan and have not experienced the extra effort that we have. I don't know if it's coincidence, luck or Karma, but I am a believer in the service plan.

I'm not talking about a 3rd party company. Troy is selling genuine Lexus factory extended warranties... Exactly the same thing your local dealer sold you, but hundreds of dollars cheaper. ANY toyota or lexus dealer can sell a factory extended warranty so long as your vehicle is still in its original warranty period.

It's probably true that the folks who do all their service at the dealership get some extra special treatment, but I'd be shocked if it usually added up to anywhere near the extra cost of the dealer service.

IMO, Extended warranties are not worth the money. My last two cars (Inifniti & Acura) I purchased extended warranties and did not utilize at all. Problems started to occur over 100k on both vehicles. My plan is to keep maintenance up, take care of it inside and out and keep my $$ in the bank.

In the end it ends up being a personal decision. I purchased my 06 350 2 months ago and declined the extended, bumper to bumper deal.

Good luck in any choice.

I bought the extended warranty because my husband suggested I should. He based on it an Audi he had years ago where after 50,000 miles EVERYTHING went wrong! I don't typically buy extended warranties and hopefully I'll never use it.

Hopefully you are in for a pleasant surprise. I owned GM, Nissan and Toyota and never bought an extended warranty, and so far I've come out ahead. Most Japanese and American cars are miles ahead of Audi in terms of reliability. They build very nice cars, but the extended warranty is almost must unless you lease.

• 2 weeks later...

You can get the Lexus Platinum 7yr/100,000 warranty for dealer cost ($1265) or just a little more when you buy the car (I paid $1300) - not sure how much bargaining power you have after-the-fact. MSRP is $2205.

• 2 weeks later...
You can get the Lexus Platinum 7yr/100,000 warranty for dealer cost ($1265) or just a little more when you buy the car (I paid $1300) - not sure how much bargaining power you have after-the-fact. MSRP is $2205.

Toby Rivers from Shreveport Lexus has the best price around for the Lexus Platinum warranty. I suggest you email him...his contact info is in the Warranty forum.

At his pricing, any Lexus owner should consider it. Depending on your trim packages, there are a number of electrical components that would be covered under the Lexus warranty (i.e., rear sunshade, navigation, adaptive headlights, rain sensing wipers, vented seats, etc.)

In the event something were to happen with one of those systems, how much would it cost out of your pcoket?

7/75 for $1900 is a ripoff.

Knightshade is correct.

Here's an email I received From Troy.

Also keep in mind these quotes are sales tax free if you live out of MA.

I bought a warranty for a Camry from him.

Hi Joe,

Sure, here is all the info and quotes:

I am currently offering the Lexus Platinum Program for 7 yrs / 100,000 miles

w/ $0 deductible for $1415.00 and the 7 yr / 75,000 mile plan for $1130.00

on the IS250.

Most of the details on the Platinum plans can be found directly at the

Lexus website at the following link, including all the various terms and

options available, just let me know if you would like a quote on a different

plan.

http://www.lexus.com/models/IS/warranty/ve...protection.html

Here are the purchase instructions if / when you decide to purchase.

I would need you to mail me an original signed letter indicating the exact

current mileage on your vehicle, and a copy of your current registration.(If

you are in a state where you don't get your state registration right away, I

can also use a copy of the bill of sale, purchase contract, or some other

official document which shows the owners name and address, along with the

vehicles VIN)

Sorry, I know its a little inconvenient, but its the only way we could come

up to cover ourselves on the mileage and VIN verification. After I receive

your letter, I can call you for credit card info, if that's how you choose

to pay, or you can include a check, money order, or the credit card info

with it. Also, make sure that the registration copy is legible (I have

gotten a couple of them recently that I couldn't read or had part of the VIN

chopped off on the copy).

Mail to:

Toyota of Greenfield

12 Olive Street

Greenfield, MA 01301

Attn: Troy Dietrich

Please call or email me if you think of any more questions. My phone number

is (413) 772-0989.

Thanks,

Troy

I can buy the warranty up to 7 yrs / 75k miles for $1900.

I passed on it as well. I've been screwed by warranty services in the past (no experience with Lexus, however) where they ding you for depreciation, normal wear-and-tear, etc.

To me, buying that warranty is like betting against yourself, where you believe you will have some sort of major repair (greater than $1900 in today's dollars) in years 5 through 7 ONLY. If something happens in the first 4 years you're already covered. After year 7 and your out of luck anyway.

If you're risk averse, this may not be a bad way to minimize financial exposure. If you can self-insure future repairs, you'll likely come out ahead. Then again, you may be one of the unlucky ones and need repairs...

"Do you feel lucky? Well, do you punk?" - Dirty Harry

Good luck with your decision either way.

7/75 for $1900 is a ripoff.

Knightshade is correct.

Here's an email I received From Troy.

Also keep in mind these quotes are sales tax free if you live out of MA.

I bought a warranty for a Camry from him.

Hi Joe,

Sure, here is all the info and quotes:

I am currently offering the Lexus Platinum Program for 7 yrs / 100,000 miles

w/ $0 deductible for $1415.00 and the 7 yr / 75,000 mile plan for $1130.00

on the IS250.

Most of the details on the Platinum plans can be found directly at the

Lexus website at the following link, including all the various terms and

options available, just let me know if you would like a quote on a different

plan.

http://www.lexus.com/models/IS/warranty/ve...protection.html

Here are the purchase instructions if / when you decide to purchase.

I would need you to mail me an original signed letter indicating the exact

current mileage on your vehicle, and a copy of your current registration.(If

you are in a state where you don't get your state registration right away, I

can also use a copy of the bill of sale, purchase contract, or some other

official document which shows the owners name and address, along with the

vehicles VIN)

Sorry, I know its a little inconvenient, but its the only way we could come

up to cover ourselves on the mileage and VIN verification. After I receive

your letter, I can call you for credit card info, if that's how you choose

to pay, or you can include a check, money order, or the credit card info

with it. Also, make sure that the registration copy is legible (I have

gotten a couple of them recently that I couldn't read or had part of the VIN

chopped off on the copy).

Mail to:

Toyota of Greenfield

12 Olive Street

Greenfield, MA 01301

Attn: Troy Dietrich

Please call or email me if you think of any more questions. My phone number

is (413) 772-0989.

Thanks,

Troy

WOW - that is a GREAT deal. Hopefully, Troy wil still be there in 2 years when I will need to add my warranty :)

It's no where near $1900 if you buy from one of the lexus dealers who sell it inexpensively.

There's a LONG LONG LONG list of repairs that are in the $1000-1400 range on this car... Lexus parts are -not- cheap, nor is dealer labor.

You'd be hard pressed to find many warranty repairs that are -less- than that amount honestly.

Especially if you've got nav, or ML, or any of the other more fancy/expensive options (dynamic cruise for example)

Yes it's an insurance policy for 3 years, and it's certainly possible you will never need it. But it's quite possibly you'll be saving yourself money if you need just one repair in that time, and you're talking less than $10 a week over that extra 3 years of coverage to be safe.

I paid $1450 for 7/100 at time of purchase. Reliable as these cars are, they are not the simple to fix Toyotas of the past. At 1.5 years and 15K miles, I already have almost $2K of work paid on the present warranty: door handle inside, dash rattle TSB and brake dust TSB.

I just took delivery of my new 08 IS250 RWD on Friday and purchased the 5/100K zero dedcutible extended warranty and paid $1055. I felt like it was cheap enough where one big repair over 100K was possible where I would come out ahead. I thought it was a good price.

• 3 months later...
I just took delivery of my new 08 IS250 RWD on Friday and purchased the 5/100K zero dedcutible extended warranty and paid $1055. I felt like it was cheap enough where one big repair over 100K was possible where I would come out ahead. I thought it was a good price.

:o

which dealership did you buy it from???

For what it's worth, I was offered, and accepted a plan that added $12/month to my payments, ($576 over 48 months), and covers all of my oil/filter/air filter maintenance for the full 48 month term. As I only drive 6-7k per year, by the time I am ready for a new car, I should have less than 30k on the car, and won't have had to put any further $ out for other maintenance, barring any unforeseen problems. It's a bit more than going to a private mechanic, but if I get two changes per year, it averages out to $72 per service, which I believe is less than an oil change at retail cost at the dealer.