Grinding Sound On 2007 Is 250 Awd

Hi everyone, I just got my 07 IS 250 AWD last week... I bought it from an infiniti dealership because they had the one I wanted and all the certified pre-owned ones didnt have all the bells and whistles I wanted... Anyway, They still gave me a 100,000 mile warranty...

OK, sorry... my question, when i am making a hard turn or a u-turn where i have to turn the wheel all the way, i hear a grinding sound... I dont know if this is normal... or im just paranoid.

Thanks

Hi everyone, I just got my 07 IS 250 AWD last week... I bought it from an infiniti dealership because they had the one I wanted and all the certified pre-owned ones didnt have all the bells and whistles I wanted... Anyway, They still gave me a 100,000 mile warranty...

OK, sorry... my question, when i am making a hard turn or a u-turn where i have to turn the wheel all the way, i hear a grinding sound... I dont know if this is normal... or im just paranoid.

Thanks

doesn't sound normal at all...........i'd check it out quick

Thanks

It is hard to diagnose but some of these sounds can be normal. Is all subjective but…..

1 – If the vehicle is not moving at all and you hear a high pitched grinding sound when the steering is turned – This is not normal and should be checked out.

2 – If the vehicle in not moving at all and you hear a slight low pitched rumble when the steering is turned – This is most likely just the sound of the tires scraping the ground as the pivot. The sound would be different depending on the tires being on pavement or cement etc… 20 years ago back in Driver’s Education, they said not to do this as it would wear the tires. :P

3 – If the vehicle is moving (fast or slow) and you hear a high pitched grinding sound when the steering is turned – This is not normal and should be checked out.

4 – If the vehicle is moving slowly (forward or backward) and you hear a low rumble/grinding when the steering is turned – This is most likely normal for this vehicle. It seems to be inherent in the design as cars from other manufacturers sometimes don’t make these types of sounds even if they have the same or wider tires.

This may or may not apply but you shouldn't turn the wheel all the way to the lock and hold it there.

Why not?

This may or may not apply but you shouldn't turn the wheel all the way to the lock and hold it there. The power steering system will protest.

Errr...let me rephrase that? What do you mean the power steering will "protest"? Does it cause any damage to the power steering? I ask because I have to do a full lock turn every time I pull in and out of my garage.

On the old type it could mess up the power steering pump as it is still trying to turn but is at the end of the steering travel and it can't.

With the electric power steering I figure the motor is still trying to move the steering gear, hence the noise, and this could burn out the motor or possibly wear or damage the gears.

Anytime a system like that is forced to try to work against the stop and it starts making noises, it's not good for the system.

If you're at full lock just for an instant or so it's probably ok. Holding it there for a longer time is where there would be a problem. If you can turn to lock and then just back off a little bit it's better if you can still make the turn.