1997 Es300 Radio Swap?

lo_dit

I've searched through plenty of threads here on the site but still can't find exactly what I'm looking for. Here's the thing....

My 1997 ES300 radio display is out.

Purchased 2000 ES300 radio for cheap. It came with a wiring harness.

The factory harness plugs from 97 radio and the 2000 are slightly different.

Went to walmart, best buy, o'reilly, autozone, circuit city to check out harnesses.

No one knows anything.

Can I splice all of the wires from the 2000 harness with the 97 wires? Some of the wire colors are different and I have been looking for wiring diagrams for both cars to show what all of the colors are to see if they will match for everything.

Pretty much I'm wondering if this can be done before I even attempt to try. Pictures can be posted up if anyone wants.

Thanks.

I've searched through plenty of threads here on the site but still can't find exactly what I'm looking for. Here's the thing....

My 1997 ES300 radio display is out.

Purchased 2000 ES300 radio for cheap. It came with a wiring harness.

The factory harness plugs from 97 radio and the 2000 are slightly different.

Went to walmart, best buy, o'reilly, autozone, circuit city to check out harnesses.

No one knows anything.

Can I splice all of the wires from the 2000 harness with the 97 wires? Some of the wire colors are different and I have been looking for wiring diagrams for both cars to show what all of the colors are to see if they will match for everything.

Pretty much I'm wondering if this can be done before I even attempt to try. Pictures can be posted up if anyone wants.

Thanks.

I have a '98 ES 300 and when my display went out, I bought the display and replaced it. As far as interchanging radios, I found that the '97,98,99 radios are interchangeable. 2000 and later are different. The wires can be spiced but I would not take the chance. My advice is to buy the display and change it out. Very simple to do.

The display could be replaced but I just wanted to replace the whole radio with the 2000 wood grain one. The display is already like $100 and I got the radio for way less than that. If I can't figure out a way to put the new radio with the old, I'll probably go with an Alpine aftermarket. Thanks for the help!

• 2 weeks later...

I did this on my 97 ES300 when I bought all the wood trim parts from a 2001 Coach Edition. I looked at the circuit boards on each radio and transposed the wires accordingly (Sorry, I don't have a record anywhere of what it was) and spliced in the 2001 wire harness to the wiring in my 97. So with a little work, yes, it can be done, and I've had this setup for a few years now, without any trouble or malfunction.

I did this on my 97 ES300 when I bought all the wood trim parts from a 2001 Coach Edition. I looked at the circuit boards on each radio and transposed the wires accordingly (Sorry, I don't have a record anywhere of what it was) and spliced in the 2001 wire harness to the wiring in my 97. So with a little work, yes, it can be done, and I've had this setup for a few years now, without any trouble or malfunction.

awesome, thats great to hear. so pretty much as long as i find which wires match up, i should be able to splice them together no problem?

i was also looking to replace the climate control with wood trim parts too, if i can get this to work i will do it as well.