Steering Wheel Squeak

rasbaboo

My 97 450 has this obnoxious squeak when you turn the steering wheel. My mechanic said it is a $500. problem, as the brushes controlling the wheel controls have to be replaced. Yikes. Before I did this, I thought I'd get some feedback. How hard is it to get a new steering wheel? Mine is disintegrating due to my dirty construction hands. Read some thread that I have to get one at a junk yard to send in for new leather? Thanks y'all. rb

• 2 weeks later...
My 97 450 has this obnoxious squeak when you turn the steering wheel. My mechanic said it is a $500. problem, as the brushes controlling the wheel controls have to be replaced. Yikes. Before I did this, I thought I'd get some feedback. How hard is it to get a new steering wheel? Mine is disintegrating due to my dirty construction hands. Read some thread that I have to get one at a junk yard to send in for new leather? Thanks y'all. rb

Mine squeaks just a little at times. I just ignore it. definitely wouldn't spend $500 on it.

• 3 months later...

yep, $500 is about right for the fix.

I had mine done under warranty, but that was the estimate, as I recall.

if you can live with the squeak, but want to take care of the way the wheel itself looks, take a look at wheelskins.com

they have leather steering wheel covers that you manually "stitch" on. the kit comes with a long needle and super-strong cord that's used to "stitch the cover onto the wheel -- I'm not describing it well, but when it's done, it looks quite nice.

it takes about 30 to 40 minutes to install all together and the worst part is getting the cover on the steering wheel itself in the beginning.

replacing the steering wheel itself is a fairly daunting job and will run about $300 for a replacement steering wheel.