Where's The Leak?

pklaus

I'm definitely leaking ATF fluid. That much I know because it's pink and I had to refill some. But anyone know where it might be coming from? It looks like some of the seals might have been redone. The seal between parts appears to be red, don't know if they were that way from the factory or not. A mechanic told me that the trans may have been rebuilt/replaced (big surprise)

Someone told me the front differential was leaking, but I thought it used heavier weight gear oil? I've also read in some other posts that the differential shares fluid with the transmission. I bought this 99 RX AWD a couple months ago with 64K miles on it and everything seemed fine. But recently I've noticed that there's a low hum and slight vibration when I accelerate through a turn. Now, to me, that would be consistent with a Front Differential problem and possible leak (low fluid) but if the front diff. shares fluid with the trans, and it's full, then is that low hum and vibration coming from something else?

I don't think it's the trans because it seems to shift smoothly, and when I take off straight there's no hum. When I look under the car, there's trans fluid everywhere, on the axle, diff, etc., like it's leaking and splashing all over the place. It's a pretty slow leak, though. I filled it 3 weeks ago and it's still full.

I couldn't be more confused. Anyone know where this low hum and vibration comes from when accelerating and turning at the same time? Is it related to my leaking trans fluid? Or do I have 2 seperate problems that need attention.

Where your two axle shafts come out there is a seal one on both sides left and right. Wash it down and then drive it a little and see if that is the cause. On AWD the transfer case shares the fluid with the transmission. There is a front transfer/differential case that uses 80/90 GL5 fluid and of course in the back of the car there is a differential that uses 80/90 GL5 fluid.

Here is a link to the differential fluid changes and more info than you will ever need:

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread...ferential+fluid

Thanks for the response, Lenore. Tons of good info in that post. The wierd thing is that there's pink trans oil all over the part Lexmex calls the transfer case, the part with the metal fins. I'm going to assume the leak is from something adjacent or above it for now, I guess, since the transfer case should be filled with gear oil. But this weekend....I'm going to change the transfer case oil because, who knows? Someone might have put ATF fluid in it. With those instructions and pictures, how could I pay someone to do it? Maybe I'll do the trans. fluid, while I've got it jacked up.

What I really need to know, though, is where that trans. fluid is leaking, because it's worrying the crap out of me. I'll end up with the car at a dealership in the next couple weeks if I don't find it myself....oh well.

until you wash it down and look again who knows, could be the right drive shaft seal, and the fluid is blowing back to the transfer case. My wonderful dealer failed to seat the driveshaft properly after the transmission change and the fluid came out where you said. If you jack up the front end and pull on the drive shaft toward the tire you should get very little play, However the seal can wear for whatever reason, but not normally.