Runflat Tires

markb

I have just changed to Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires on my 2002 SC430 and, when I inflated the tires down to 33 lbs., have noticed the car now rolling over rather than clanging over bumps. The car goes where pointed going hard around corners and curves, and feels more solid and balanced on the road. I have a greater feeling of confidence and enjoyment with the car. Anyone else have the same or different experience?

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with your decision to dump the run-flats. I just purchased an '02 SC yesterday and I'm already wanting to yank the #$@%% Potenza run-flats that are currently on the car! It feels like I'm driving a go-kart rather than a Lexus. Bumps are harsh, and the tire noise that makes its way into the cockpit at lower speeds is horrible. I cant wait for these to wear out (I hear that they're only good for 20-25k miles or so) to swap them for something else. Your choice of Michelin Pilots was excellent...really a great tire.

What are you doing about a spare? I hear that the spare tire kit from Lexus is $700 or so. I've seen others post that they keep a can of fix-a-flat in the trunk along with a portable compressor. That to me sure beats the crappy ride that the run-flats provide!

Based on my experience with run flats on my C5 corvette, you should trash these tires (sell really) ASAP>

Worse junk ever sold to the American public. I would rather wait for the f'n tow truck.

IMHO!! :D