Limited Slip?

rabidus

I was under the impression that my '95 SC300 with the 5 speed didn't have limited slip... I put new tires on, 245/50/16 on '95 RX7 wheels(16x8, 50mm offset) all around and dicided to burn them up a little and dropped the clutch from 4000rpms and the car kind of slid a little to the right... I turned around and look and I had left two tire tracks... I then went on a road where no houses are built yet and did three burnouts and all three left two tire tracks...

click me

Did I get lucky and get one with LSD???

Anthony

Here's my speech:

My SC300 5-Speed and SC400 both have Open Differentials, and they'll leave beautiful burn marks when provoked...

And yes, I can afford to leave tire-burn on the road!

LOL : )

Can't we all just get along?

As for as I know also, and im no expert, SC300s only came with open diffs from the factory. You might have a aftermarket or a supra VLSD...or as AWJ said if the conditions are right both wheels can possibly burn out at the same time. But 4 or 3 times in a row... :unsure:

hey most of the time that will happen. but when conditions are right like when the grip of one tire to the road are un equal one tire might lose it and the other might grip. when i have a bit of fun in the rain :lol: ( low noise and low tire wear :D ) going a bit of side ways sometimes it works because i can get both the tires to spin and sometimes it doesnt work because i just did it wrong by shifting the weight the wrong way and getting on the gas spinning only one tire. so its just the situation you are in. burn outs most times your weight on both rear tires are equal so its not a problem getting both tires to spin.

Thanx for your replies!!! I only had the car since August and I knew the previous owner, who had the car for 5 yrs, and I know she wouldn't have installed a LSD but I'm not sure about the original owners... I had some bald Goodyear's on it when I got it but never checked to see what kind of rubber I was laying down... The burnouts that I did yesterday was on two different pavements... I even popped clutch and hit the brakes, to sit and spin them, and it still left two tire tracks... It didn't have enough power or clutch to keep spinning the thick rubber though... I have springs, shocks and a clutch on the way... The host of my pictures isn't working right now but the tire tracks are even, they started spinning at the same time and stopped at the same time... I'll test it further and see if I can do some donuts, have to find an empty parking lot...

Anthony

Okay guys:

I have a 95 SC300 5speed, and for the past 3days, I've been trying to do donuts and drift on snow and black Ice. I can't do it. The car keeps correcting itself. My tires are virtually bald, and I've been pushing it on black ice. As part of my training, I learned how to drift, and cars with open diffy are the easiest ones to do it on. My car never corrected itself, unless I told it to. I honestly don't believe it's an open diffy.

Okay guys:

I have a 95 SC300 5speed, and for the past 3days, I've been trying to do donuts and drift on snow and black Ice.  I can't do it.  The car keeps correcting itself.  My tires are virtually bald, and I've been pushing it on black ice.  As part of my training, I learned how to drift, and cars with open diffy are the easiest ones to do it on.  My car never corrected itself, unless I told it to.  I honestly don't believe it's an open diffy.

First, there's no LSD in the SC, as the others said. Second, the car corrects itself on black ice and snow and won't even do a donut??? I've been trying to drive mine in the snow for the past couple of days, all seasons and tons of cat litter in the trunk, it's still terrible....for you to say you can't even do a donut in snow and ice is crazy. <_<

Lex, why? I know the SC300 doesn't have a lot of torque, that one of the factors to not being able to do a good donut. Let me describe it a little better. On Black Ice, the car starts the donut turn, then slows down, and then it starts to drag the front end, and then the power shifts to the slipping wheel. Any thoughts? :unsure: If it was a 100%open diff., the turn should be much smaller, instead of the larger one I've been getting. I know if I had a 20-60% limited slip, it should wabble sideways, and not be able to make a donut.

Plus, the previous owner never installed a limited Diff. on this car. he doesn't even know what it is.

All I know is the only time I've ever driven an SC in snow - it spun completely around on me faster than greased lightning. Not much I could do either way. I have no problem slinging the booty of the bueaty wherever I want too. A little too much enthusiasm will put the car out of control. I lost the same car driving it too enthusiastically.

I drove mine the first time while it was snowing after some rain, the ground was ice covered with a light dusting of snow. I pulled into a parking lot to turn around and figured I would just use the snow and do a 180. That worked fine. It didn't dive at all, the front pretty much stood still and the back came around I countere steered and that was it. I don't know why you wouldn't be able to spin the car completely around.

UCF3...dunno, but i've tried both my SC3 and SC4 in the snow and they were reeaal bad, with 18's you can't really get out of the driveway, but even on 16" GT+4's and plenty of ballast it was very challenging, but keeping it moving was the key, if I stopped where there was an incline (of course) or any kind of ice I was stuck.

It may be an open diff, but I've been doing burnouts all day yesterday and a few today and every burnout left two tire tracks... I did a burnout and then started to turn a corner, both tires started to spin and as I started to turn, one of them stopped spinning...

Anthony

The 180 I pulled was pretty shallow, just a quick snap around, The ground was really uneven where I did it, maybe that caused it? I went and looked at it, and it is pretty uneven. You would think on even ground that would more inclined to stop both tires from spinning, and who knows. There was ice on the ground, one could've stopped spinning and just slid, but the other kept the car turning.

Quick snap 180 could mean we have a little posi, but here's the bigger question, did you stop before the 180 mark or after, and did you stop it voluntarily?

I just lost everything I wrote - that just chaps my hide.... (don't hit esc a bunch of times - don't ask either :blink: )

I can pull them tight and broad. It is usually predictable. But sometimes things go wrong.... that's how I lost the '93. The time in the snow was a quick and tight 180* that stopped just beyond the mark - (not that I was trying to hit a mark). I couldn't help it at all - it was the day after we bought it and we were taking it home. Just happened to snow that night while we were asleep.

That is the cliff notes version because I don't feel like retyping everything. <_<

Here is a picture of a burnout I did... It started at the top of the picture and ended at the bottom... I couldn't get the link to work, so just remove the " " and paste it in your address bar...

"http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/i=wMjE3NTExNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg"

It just won't show from this website, I post pictures on Import lounge all the time and it works just fine...

Both tires left equal tracks...

Anthony

I'll do a controlled test, and figure it. Just need to wait until it snows/freezes again.

AWJ, just out of curious, when you had your accident, did you over-accelerate on the turn?

I found this info on this page http://www.intellexual.net/faq.html

It says some open diff's may seem like a LSD or it's a 1-way

Differentials are gearboxes that transmit power from the driveshaft to the rear axles in a way that allows each wheel to spin independently of the other. The SC coupes came with open differentials, which do not transfer torque between wheels when one is losing traction (slipping). In fact, under most circumstances, the open diff. only gives one wheel all the power. Thus the need for limited-slip differentials (aka: Positrac). Limited-slip differentials (LSD) transfer power to the wheel with the most traction, which allows you to deliver more power to the ground. There is a wide array of LSD options out there. The trouble is in matching the overall drivetrain ratios. If your final drive ratio is off, your speedometer and odometer will also be off. The most popular LSDs used are the Torsen Supra and Supra TRD LSDs because they are direct bolt-ons. Be aware that there are many versions of the Supra differential, including some that are actually open differentials!

LSDs are categorized as 1.0 limited-slip, 1.5 limited-slip, and 2.0 limited-slip. Here are the distinctions:

Open differential - will power only one wheel at almost all times. Some open differentials will give the appearance of being limited slip when (1) power brake launching, (2) when good traction is avalable, and (3) when the car is pointed forward and not turning.

1-way Limited-slip - provides power to both wheels when the car is traveling straight and no other time. The weakest linking differential of all LSDs.

1.5-way Limited-slip - provides power to both wheels when the car is traveling straight and turning. Moderate grip while engaged.

2-way Limited-slip - provides power to both wheels when the car is traveling straight, while turning, and while braking. Fully engaged limited-slip at all times.

- (info provided by VSsc400)

Anthony

I was going way too fast for conditions. It was a very minimal curve - I mean tiny. I happened to be shifting at the same time as the car was coming over a slight hump around a slight bend. I got on it too hard from 3-4 and caught air. Murder she wrote from there.

"I looked at my ride and I said 'oh brother'

I'll throw it in the gutter

and go buy another."

:lol: :( sad story, but funny when you tell it. ok heres a simpler way of explaining the three kinds of lsd's

1 way good for 4wd front diffs, and ff chassis. or fr chassis for circuit use. what the 1 way does is lock the diff when the power is on. when the power is off(like during a corner) the normal differention action is there.

2 way is good for fr chassis drifting. the diff is locked when power is on and off of course there are lock up rates under off power conditions which let the differential action work again. no differential action during a turn will give you major under steer so its ment almost strictly for drifting.

1.5way will give you the best of both worlds. under power there will be lock up off power it will still be locked but the rate at which it locks up is less so that it will give more differential movement like during a turn. since it gives more diff movement during turns it has less understeer and it will stable you braking compared to a 1way

ok that wasnt that much more simpler :blushing:

:D no it wasn't.

I definitely prefer 2-way because it offers superior control over your power and traction.

I guess 1.5 is pretty good if you really want the extra miles out of your tires.

I also noticed that in some instances the car will spin both tires while in other it will only spin one.

As for donuts, once your car starts spinning around, you lose almost all traction and both tires spin.

I used to drive a Camaro which could only do the ugly 1 wheel burnouts but donuts were no problem especially if there was even the hint om moisture on the road.