Old Wax/polish/cleaner

nc211

Mods: I posted this one on the detailing part, but didn't get much traffic. I'm starting the process today, thought I'd post here too, in the freeway of chatter. Since I'm not a moderator "nor have never been asked :cries: , geezz, what's a guy gotta' do to get a key to the front door around here?" hahaa...just kidding, don't want one! I can't erase my first post..

I've still got a lot of the #2 Mequires series wax/polish/paint cleaner. It's about 2 years old, has been sitting on my shelf. I'm getting ready to finally detail my cars at home, and am curious if this stuff is still good to use? I'm going to claybar the cars first, then do my thing. I'd rather not spend another $80 on this stuff if I don't have to. Any input?

Last time I used it was when I detailed my LS, back in March of 06'.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...=27799&st=0

Hey Nc, How do ? If it was stored at a moderate temp I don't see why it wouldn't be any good. I have used polish/wax etc... that has been 2 years old and had no issues. Shake it up and do a test area, Then drink a 6 pack and finish the job :lol:

I do good, amigo. How 'bout you?

The wax and stuff has been sitting in the garage, so I figure it's probably still good to use. I'm going to finally get some wax on the Mazda, as some have been reporting rust issues around the fenders, all northern cars though, but still. With the wife within a couple of weeks of the due date, you know the second I get a beer buzz, she'll go into labor, and we'll be going to the hospital in a cab. So, no brews for me these days, which SUCKS! Because I'm soooo friggin' thirsty, I can't stand it!

I do good, amigo. How 'bout you?

The wax and stuff has been sitting in the garage, so I figure it's probably still good to use. I'm going to finally get some wax on the Mazda, as some have been reporting rust issues around the fenders, all northern cars though, but still. With the wife within a couple of weeks of the due date, you know the second I get a beer buzz, she'll go into labor, and we'll be going to the hospital in a cab. So, no brews for me these days, which SUCKS! Because I'm soooo friggin' thirsty, I can't stand it!

NC-

The wax should be fine to use. My wax is close to 2 years old and I keep my wax in the garage and I have no problems with it. Just like DC said shake it up and it should be ok.

By the way best of luck to you and the MRS. One suggestion bring a pillow for your self to the hospital at least around here they are stingy with them. Well if your wife plans to breast feed then you will have a desingated driver for awhile.

Geez, your "Bud" withdrawell should be near the scale of Labor Pains... :D anyhoo, wax on/ wax off should take away any anxiety and jitter "buds".....good luck buddy and congratulations and I hope all goes well.

I place those non-alcoholic beverages in the same category as decaf coffee, suger-free candy, and democrats.... there's just no use! HAHAHA.....

Bullseye on me! Fire away! :ph34r: :P

Joking aside... thanks for the advice everyone. I did use the old stuff last weekend, and the results were spectacular. I clayed the car, then polished with the old Mequires, then put two coats of wax. I finished up with taking the wheel off the car, claying them both inside and out, and using some Mothers Metal Polish "stinky blue stuff", on them. Now, the car is so smooth, a paper towel won't even sit on the hood, it just slides off. I rain-x'd all the glass and light/markers. Of course, Murphy's Law showed up the following day with about 3 inches of rain. But, at 40mph+, you don't even need to use the wipers, the water just flies off the car.

I don't have one of those Porter Cable machines, but I've got to admit, my $50 GNC 10in' random orbital buffer from Lowes really works quite well, and makes this chore bearable. The 4runner is next, which will take me a couple of days. The paint is so rough, it's probably going to take two of those little Mequire claybars to get clean. That project might require some true budweiser to get through, which is why I'm waiting until after the baby comes to do it, which should be any day now! May 17th is the official due date....

I'm waiting until after the baby comes to do it, which should be any day now! May 17th is the official due date....

Hey NC!! (I'm in Raleigh like you) Am I mistaken or did you and your wife recently have a baby??? Or were you just announcing (months ago) that your wife was expecting?? I mostly hang out at CL so I am not current on the happenings on this forum. Congrats in advance on the baby!!!

Thanks Mad Dawg! We're very close to having the baby...any day now actually, which is making my work nearly impossible to focus on right now...that, and I've got some serious spring fever going on these days. Looking forward to a couple weeks off after Jr. comes.