Overall Reliability?

so... I've driven the GS 350 AWD, and I love it.

BUT... I have some concerns about its reliability. Consumer Reports ratings are less than stellar, and I find that rather concerning. I'm current Lexus owner, and I've had NO problems, and quite frankly I'm surprised to see a new Lexus getting hammered so badly....

Any thoughts from the real world?

Thanks,

Mark

BUT... I have some concerns about its reliability. Consumer Reports ratings are less than stellar, and I find that rather concerning. I'm current Lexus owner, and I've had NO problems, and quite frankly I'm surprised to see a new Lexus getting hammered so badly....

Thanks,

Mark

Thanks,

Mark

All I can say is that I have had zero trouble with mine. THis is about my seventh or eight Lexus and the quality is impressive though not infalliable. For example, my mirror would go down for reverse and not return to the up position when shift to drive. Of course, the dealer made it good.

I tried MB but, the ride is stiffer and, for me, not as pleasureable. BMW same.

Whatever car one buys, is not perfect. Just enjoy what you have - since there is little choice for a couple of years unless one is rich.

Best of luck,

Dave

Thanks,

Mark

I have the same concerns about my new GS350 (my first Lexus). It has way too many flaws for a $50K automobile which makes me wonder how reliable the rest of the car is/will be over the coming years. I have owned BMW's, Acura's, and Mercedes and I must say I am a bit disappointed in the GS350. Problem is, I love the way it looks inside and out. But, I have never been so frustrated with a car as I am with the GS350. Let's start with the Rain Sensor wipers that don't work here in the Pacific Northwest......

Thanks,

Mark

I have the same concerns about my new GS350 (my first Lexus). It has way too many flaws for a $50K automobile which makes me wonder how reliable the rest of the car is/will be over the coming years. I have owned BMW's, Acura's, and Mercedes and I must say I am a bit disappointed in the GS350. Problem is, I love the way it looks inside and out. But, I have never been so frustrated with a car as I am with the GS350. Let's start with the Rain Sensor wipers that don't work here in the Pacific Northwest......

I've never had an issue with my Lexus. 123, I read your large post... and those seem like issues with feature implementation more than the reliability concerns that I'm trying to feel out. Some might qualify as "bugs" or "glitches".... but the car drives like a dream, and I just want to see it keep driving like a dream for the next 5 years or so. :-)

And DavidN... aren't we all rich if we're getting Lexi? ;-)

And,

BrooklineMark, I am the next town over from you, I am in Newton. I just bought the GS350 AWD 2 months ago. I read that CR report too. The CR report makes no sense, it rated the GS350 RWD as good and the GS350 AWD as poor. When ask why they rated the RWD good and the AWD poor, their response was problems with dash rattled and accessories. Which makes no sense at all since both the RWD and the AWD share the same dash components and accessories.

I can tell you that the GS is as relievable as any Lexus out there. The biggest issue out there is the dash and windshield rattles. Most dealers have a very good idea as to how to fix it by now. Other than that, this car is great.

BrooklineMark, I am the next town over from you, I am in Newton. I just bought the GS350 AWD 2 months ago. I read that CR report too. The CR report makes no sense, it rated the GS350 RWD as good and the GS350 AWD as poor. When ask why they rated the RWD good and the AWD poor, their response was problems with dash rattled and accessories. Which makes no sense at all since both the RWD and the AWD share the same dash components and accessories.

I can tell you that the GS is as relievable as any Lexus out there. The biggest issue out there is the dash and windshield rattles. Most dealers have a very good idea as to how to fix it by now. Other than that, this car is great.

G Man-

Thanks for getting back to me! I'm glad to hear it.... espeically since I put my deposit down today!! :-)

Did you get a chance to drive it in the snow? How did it handle?

- Mark

BrooklineMark:

Although I have an AWD GS300, I posted this in December about my first winter driving experience with my car:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...mp;#entry277977

Now...after having gone through the entire winter...I have to say that I am totally satisfied moving from the RX models I owned to the GS. We received a couple of decent winter storms in the Twin Cities this year, and I never had any problems with control or driveablilty.

--Duckman

BrooklineMark, I comes from a GX470, so comparing the GS350 to the GX470 is very unfair as the GX470 is a monster in the snow. Anyhow, the GS350 AWD is about what I would expect from a sport sedan in the snow, about the same as my old BMW 528XI. It will handle snow maybe up to 6 to 8 inches, the limitation is the runflat tires and the low ground clearance. I drove up to NH in that Feb strom we had, 6" of snow. We drove at maybe 45 MPH with no problem. The only time that the stability system beep at me was when I try to test its limitation coming out of a parking lot. The back end spin out maybe 4 inches and the stability quickly corrected it. I plan to run those OEM tire maybe another year and switch over to the Good Year F1 all season, those are suppose to be the best Z rated tires in the snow.

Where did you buy your GS and how much if you dont mind me asking. Good Luck with your new GS.