Just Got New Continental Extreme Contacts

I just had Discount Tire put on a set of Continental Extreme Contact 225/40x18 and 255/40x18. They are new so they are very smooth and quiet. I'll know more in about 15K or 20K miles. The factory Bridgestone Potenzas still had 1/32" of wear left, according to Discount Tire at 34, 850 miles. Even though you can't rotate the tires, and the fronts started cupping at around 20K miles, I'm not completely dissatisfied with the Potenzas, considing they are a 140 Tread Life rated tire. The Conti's are 400 Rated!! We'll see how they do and I'll post a note in about 12 months or so. Again, this 2006 IS250 is driven by my wife, who drives 80% freeway (approximately 50 to 60 miles per week day) and is definately not a hot-rodder. I saw the Goodyear F-1 Eagles in the store and I like the rim protector style and the outer edge of the tire sticks out beyond the rim, so this would provide added protection against damaging the expensive chrome wheels. BUT, it's rated tread life is 280 and it's about 30% higher cost. :(

is this the first time you are changing the tires? I was under the impression that the factory installed tires last only 20K miles.

• 3 weeks later...
I just had Discount Tire put on a set of Continental Extreme Contact 225/40x18 and 255/40x18. They are new so they are very smooth and quiet. I'll know more in about 15K or 20K miles. The factory Bridgestone Potenzas still had 1/32" of wear left, according to Discount Tire at 34, 850 miles. Even though you can't rotate the tires, and the fronts started cupping at around 20K miles, I'm not completely dissatisfied with the Potenzas, considing they are a 140 Tread Life rated tire. The Conti's are 400 Rated!! We'll see how they do and I'll post a note in about 12 months or so. Again, this 2006 IS250 is driven by my wife, who drives 80% freeway (approximately 50 to 60 miles per week day) and is definately not a hot-rodder. I saw the Goodyear F-1 Eagles in the store and I like the rim protector style and the outer edge of the tire sticks out beyond the rim, so this would provide added protection against damaging the expensive chrome wheels. BUT, it's rated tread life is 280 and it's about 30% higher cost. :(

Hi, Randy. It's time for me to get new tires for my 2006 IS250, and I have been considering either the Extreme Contacts, or the Eagle F-1s. Can you tell me if the Contis are loud/noisy, do they tend to follow grooves in the road surface? Also, does you tire pressure monitoring system still function properly? I appreciate your input.

I also got the Conti Extreme Contacts and agree that they are quieter and ride a little better. The handling may be a little less crisp, but I'm not driving near the limits anyway. Speed wise, I've had them up to 120 MPH and everything feels just fine. I haven't done much with pressures yet but I think the optimum is going to be somewhat lower than the Dunlops. (38F/40R)