Reverse Light Illuminates On Dash Panel

Troubleshooter

I believe I remember a post something like yours where the problem is caused by a broken ground wire in the trunk hinge area. I believe some wires run through the drivers side hinge and that it is a common problem to have broken wires in that area. I may be wrong but you might check it out.

Curt

Obergc you are exactly right! Mine did that last year and I took it to the dealer and they charged me $110 to find that little problem. i fixed it in 5 minutes. it will also make the transmission go into fail-safe made and downshif while your driving.

in the trunk near the spare tire there is like a bunch of those wires tied together. i just forgot what color you have to look for. look for the part where they are all bent because in that area they didnt make that cable long enuff and that is why it broke.

Open the trunk. Look at the driverside trunk hinge. Pull the black plastic down. There will be some wires in there. You may need to look further back close to the gas tank. The wires are going to be white. i believe there are 3 white ones the break. Just crimp them together with a butt connector and your done. if you need anymore advice just let me know.

Lexx

This happened to me about a year ago on my '92. I had to have it towed (transmission wouldn't go out of low) and it cost me about $100 for them to fix the wire(s).

If only I had KNOWN!!!!

Hope others can save $100 by reading this thread.

Joe

• 2 years later...

Thanks SK,

I opened the trunk and took a look at it this morning and it looks as if I will have to remove the panels inside the trunk for access. The wires are all taped up and I can see where they flex as the trunk opens and closes. I have my camera ready so as soon as I finish a painting job which my wife moved to #1 priority, I will work on the car.