Locked Out, Please Help

split1atom

Good morning everyone. I'm new to the forum and hoping someone can help me before my husband finds out! :) I got to work this morning and accidently locked the keys in my car. The sunroof was open, so we reached through the top with a stick and unlocked the door. However, this must have set off some kind of security because now nothing works. We also closed the door back and now neither key will open it. Can someone tell me what happened and how to fix it.

Thanks in advance

Did you try unlocking the door with the key manually? then put the key in the ignition and turn to on position. that is what the RX300 service manual says to do. Try the passenger door also with the key in the lock...

Put the key in the door and leave it shut, then go through the motion of locking and then un locking the door. I found this on the other lexus site. good luck. by the way that is what the Lexus dealership told this other individual to do and it worked.

I am confused, do you have the key? If so unlock the door at the key lock on the drivers door. dont try the remote.

This whole story is dumb and long. I locked the keys (with the remote) in the trunk. Which is what happens when you are carrying a) too many binders home to work on and B) too heavy of a briefcase. You drop the keys. So, I realized that the sunroof was partially open and we stuck a broom handle in and were able to unlock the door - which set off the alarm and shut all systems down (which means I couldn't "pop" the trunk from inside).

I borrowed a car, drove home and got what I believe to be the extra key. Put it in the lock.........the door opened and the alarm starting blaring again. I stuck the key in the ignition to "override" but ..... nothing. The alarm finally timed out, I got mad and slammed the door. Soooooo........of course the door locked back and now we can't get in at all....even with the "extra" key or the broom handle. It's like it was "shut down" before......but now it is REALLY shut down.

Thus far, the dealership has been unable to help. I have driven a Lexus for 14 years..........now I know why..........it won't ever be stolen!!

Did you read my last post about going through the motion of locking and unlocking the door with the key. (not the remote)

Yes - tried that earlier today and again a few minutes ago....nothing. The key won't even turn......

Wont turn, try the passenger door. Maybe you have the wrong key or the valet key. If it doesnt turn in the passenger door than something is wrong with the key. Is it the valet key or a master key. The valet key will not open the trunk or glove compartment, not sure about the doors.

Wont turn, try the passenger door. Maybe you have the wrong key or the valet key. If it doesnt turn in the passenger door than something is wrong with the key. Is it the valet key or a master key. The valet key will not open the trunk or glove compartment, not sure about the doors.

Already tried the passenger door. The strange thing is that it opened the door earlier today, but once the alarm went off again we have been unable to get it to work. Yeah, the valet key won't work for trunk and glove compartment but it will work for the door. BUT.....again, the weird thing is that it worked earlier but now it won't. Soooooo, I'm waiting on another return call from Lexus - hoping they can tell me how to override.

Apparently, once I do get in, I have to enter a code on the radio that resets the security system. So, I can't even call a locksmith until i have the code!

Is today Monday? By the way, thanks for trying to help!

Even if it is a valet key, it should open the drivers door (I don't know about the 99 LS, but I don't think that my 01 has a passenger side lock). As far as 'locking down', the outside cylinder for the door is a mechanical operation, I don't believe that it would be able to be locked out.

Do you have a dealer close that may be able to cut a new key? If you have the VIN, they should be able to cut a key for you from that.

If you can get to the hood release, I'd unplug the battery for a long while and see if that does anything since it seems like cycling the key isn't doing much. The tool kit in the trunk should have the combination wrench that you can use to unplug the battery. Keep us posted, this is very interesting, I've been on this forum a while, and I've never heard of a LS going in to a full lock down mode like this!

sorry I posted on the other Lexus forum and have got no response, I wonder if your battery has died.... Is the anti theft light still flashing on the dash....??

As for the code, the dealership ship give that to you if you have the vin #, but most locksmith are bonded and can get that info from the dealerships.....

If you can get to the hood release, I'd unplug the battery for a long while and see if that does anything since it seems like cycling the key isn't doing much. The tool kit in the trunk should have the combination wrench that you can use to unplug the battery.

I can't get in the trunk! .... which is where the keys are.......Do I have to have that wrench to disconnect the battery?

As for the code, the dealership ship give that to you if you have the vin #, but most locksmith are bonded and can get that info from the dealerships.....

I got the other question about the battery, but it is not dead. I'm waiting patiently for the dealership.....ha ha.

I'm fairly certain it's a 10mm for my '95, and you certainly don't have to use the tool in your trunk to loosen the nut on the battery connection. (Obviously, you didn't get to the trunk, I misread what you wrote. Sorry about that!)

If you can get to the hood release, I'd unplug the battery for a long while and see if that does anything since it seems like cycling the key isn't doing much. The tool kit in the trunk should have the combination wrench that you can use to unplug the battery. Keep us posted, this is very interesting, I've been on this forum a while, and I've never heard of a LS going in to a full lock down mode like this!

\

Well I have to tell you how pleased I am that I could present this entertainment today! I am cracking up laughing......this is the WORST "girl thing" I've ever done. Kind of like !Removed! up a steel ball

As for the hood, we can get in there. We did earlier, looking for a fuse to "jump start"....or something like that. I don't know what the heck they were doing.

So, I'm going to unhook the battery.......wait and then get in. right? Will I still need this mysterious "code"? Which by the way I'm going to have tattooed on my @$$

\

Well I have to tell you how pleased I am that I could present this entertainment today! I am cracking up laughing......this is the WORST "girl thing" I've ever done. Kind of like !Removed! up a steel ball

As for the hood, we can get in there. We did earlier, looking for a fuse to "jump start"....or something like that. I don't know what the heck they were doing.

So, I'm going to unhook the battery.......wait and then get in. right? Will I still need this mysterious "code"? Which by the way I'm going to have tattooed on my @$$

LOL This certainly isn't a girl thing; I'm sure we've all locked the keys in at least once. Several months ago I locked the keys in my LeSabre while they were still in the ignition....*BLEEP* (wouldn't happen on the Lexus since it pops the lock back if you try to lock the car while the key is in the ignition, not on a Buick though.)! LOL It's a good thing for AAA!

I'd let it sit for 30 minutes or an hour with the battery unplugged. Disconnecting the battery should at least let you unlock the car and open the trunk with your valet key. And, hopefully, it will reset the alarm. I'm not sure about whether or not you'll need the security code; the only reading I've done on the radio security code is for the first gen cars. I seem to remember reading that the security code might be the last 3 numbers of your VIN, but I'm not sure about that.

Here's to a nice, dry, sunny day in Cincinnati!! :cheers:

\

LOL This certainly isn't a girl thing; I'm sure we've all locked the keys in at least once. Several months ago I locked the keys in my LeSabre while they were still in the ignition....*BLEEP* (wouldn't happen on the Lexus since it pops the lock back if you try to lock the car while the key is in the ignition, not on a Buick though.)! LOL It's a good thing for AAA!

I'd let it sit for 30 minutes or an hour with the battery unplugged. Disconnecting the battery should at least let you unlock the car and open the trunk with your valet key. And, hopefully, it will reset the alarm. I'm not sure about whether or not you'll need the security code; the only reading I've done on the radio security code is for the first gen cars. I seem to remember reading that the security code might be the last 3 numbers of your VIN, but I'm not sure about that.

Here's to a nice, dry, sunny day in Cincinnati!! :cheers:

Okay, so I think that's what I'll do - I'll let you know if it works. Thanks again for all the input!