Too Good To Be True...?

cali-love06

Well, all I can tell you is that you get what you pay for. Everytime! A Garret ball bearing T67 turbo alone sells for 900 bucks. I have no idea what turbo they are using, as they only say T61 T4 turbo, what intercooler they are using and all the rest of the stuff.

If you go to Turbonetics or SRT, they specifically list brand name, size, and application of each and every component they use. Why? because they have nothing to hide. Go to all the websites or catalogs and take each component and check the price yourself, and you'll see you get a slightly better price and the assurance that the kit is complete and proven. I would be very leary of a "generic" turbo kit.

But hey, why don't you get it, put it on your car, and tell us all about it as you do it and your results. I would love to know the outcome. :)

Ah come on now smooth1 imnot trying to be the guinea pig :lol: ... i was leary myself just thought i would bring it to some more experienced attention thats all... never said i wanted to make my car the testing platform lol... i have looked at the turbonetics kits and i only wish ihad that much money right now.

Yeah, the turbonetics kit is probably one of the best "street" turbo kits. I wish they would update a few parts though, as there are better components that have come out since they put the kit together, but on the other hand they know the kit they have works, and works well together, why go changing that right? I do strongly advise to skip the Unichip that comes with the kit, and swap in the AEM fic instead, upgrade the fuel injectors to 600 cc or 650 cc, and add a Walbro fuel pump.

Will it be necessary to do a reflash once i install a kit or will installing a stand alone take care of all of that? Also how much tuning is really required out of those units like the AEM one? Any good place you recommend to purchase those because i havent had any luck finding any...

You can't reflash the stock ECU. So, you have to either go with a stand alone ECU like Haltech, AEM, etc., but those will run you around $2k, maybe $1500. or you can go with a piggyback that works with the Vvti system, which, in my opinion, the best one on the market is the AEM fic.

And yes, you have to have tuning done for FI. The ignition has to be retarded and the A/F mix has to be changed and controlled. To rich and your not gonna make any power, and to lean and the motor goes "POP"!!

As far as where to get one, any online turbo store will have them, but if your planning on having a performance shop do the work and tuning, then I would let them deal with that. Most performance shops won't install prepurchased aftermarket parts as it becomes their responsiblity if something goes wrong. If you want to go with the AEM system, just call AEM and ask for a list of authorized dealers and certified tuners in your area. Just go here: http://trucks.aempower.com/LocateDealer.aspx and type in your zip.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know about this listing, but I DO know the ebay has certain companies - especially in the auto industry - that you DO NOT want to buy from under any circumstances. One of these is SS autochrome, that uses garbage charge piping and junk turbo parts. Other than that, good luck on the setup :D