Spare Tire

DaveFo

Hello,

I live in Chicago and picked up my 2008 GX on March 29, 2008.

By April 8th, my spare tire was already stolen (probably when I parked in a garage downtown Chicago).

While the tire had a bike type wire rope lock on it, there's gotta be a better way to secure the tire onto the vehicle.

Anyone have a similar experience ?

Now I am looking for another spare but can't afford to have this happen again.

Rather than buying a complete Lexus rim, etc., wouldn't a Toyota wheel fit on the Lexus as well ?

Any info would be appreciated !

DaveFo

They cut through a cable!! Man that is a drag. I knew a guy with a pickup that had his stolen 3 times. He tried everything to prevent it. Eventually he just stopped carrying a spare while in town. He only threw it on when he went out of town or on vacations.

Replacing it won’t be cheap. By the time you buy the rim, tire and the tps sensor (if you choose) it’ll be $500

I’ve never had mine off but I seem to remember reading someplace that it involved cranking it down with a bar of some kind. You have to open the rear door and slide the bar into a hole and turn it to lower the tire. Doesn’t sound easy to remove without access.

Wish I could offer a solution.

F

They cut through a cable!! Man that is a drag. I knew a guy with a pickup that had his stolen 3 times. He tried everything to prevent it. Eventually he just stopped carrying a spare while in town. He only threw it on when he went out of town or on vacations.

Replacing it won’t be cheap. By the time you buy the rim, tire and the tps sensor (if you choose) it’ll be $500

I’ve never had mine off but I seem to remember reading someplace that it involved cranking it down with a bar of some kind. You have to open the rear door and slide the bar into a hole and turn it to lower the tire. Doesn’t sound easy to remove without access.

Wish I could offer a solution.

F

They're even stealing catalytic converters these days... Thieves Leave Cars, but Take Catalytic Converters

This company came out with a locking device for catalytic converters... CATCLAMP

They target SUV's because they're easy to get under without having to jack up the vehicle...

Jim