Noob With A '91 Ls

OKay guys.....I ordered my transmission solenoids and got a bulb so i was able to pull my check engine codes. This is what I ended up with. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

ENGINE

28 - Main oxygen sensor signal (on right bank)

71 - EGR system malfunction

TRANSMISSION

63 - Open or short circuit in no. 2 solenoid valve

ABS

34 - Rear left wheel speed sensor signal malfunction

• 2 weeks later...

Just want to give an update!!! The transmission issue is fixed!!! :D Thank you guys for all the help. I now have 4 gears. I had the solenoids changed at a reputible transmission shop. When pulling the pan they were amazed at NO wear on the transmission after 300k. Although my car is still shifting rather firm, it's now shifting through all of the gears.

OKay guys.....I ordered my transmission solenoids and got a bulb so i was able to pull my check engine codes. This is what I ended up with. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

ENGINE

28 - Main oxygen sensor signal (on right bank)

71 - EGR system malfunction

TRANSMISSION

63 - Open or short circuit in no. 2 solenoid valve

ABS

34 - Rear left wheel speed sensor signal malfunction

hey congrats!!! ive had the 71 before...it is an egr valve, or in common mechanic language, a mushroom valve....it is located on the drivers side of the engine bay to the right of the "lexus" part of the manifold...they get gunked up with carbon and sometimes can be cleaned, though i dont remember off hand how, if they are about 40 bucks and it is just a matter of swapping them out...good luck. how is the rest of the car? seats? stereo? what color is it and can you post pictures? i need to see what a 25$ ls400 looks like...

how is the rest of the car? seats? stereo? what color is it and can you post pictures? i need to see what a 25$ ls400 looks like...

There is a small dent in the door from where a neighborhood demon ran into it with his bike. Dentworkz paintless dent repair wants $20 to get the dent out.

The seats have small tears in the cushion and there is a small tear on the driver's side seat. Back seats are great. Replacement leather panels for both seats and armrest is running me $150.

The stereo works but the speakers are gone. I think old age more than overpowering. Also the original antenna worked but it stuck out slightly, put in a new antenna and still cannot get the antenna to sit flush with the quarter panel. Also since i put the new antenna it seems to move up or down a 1/2 inch on so when i put it on certain stations and i have NO clue what is wrong with it. DCfish is helping me get a new radio. I also plan to post pics of the car this weekend.

blake,

this post is also just an fyi for someone looking at this at a later date since you already fixed your problem....

i had the 63 - Open or short circuit in no. 2 solenoid valve also.... went through the procedure to check it out, according to lexus... and they checked out ok. i went to a tranny shop and talked to the guy there and he said to go ahead and change them out... both 1 and 2, because he has seen many times through the years that they are bad but check good.

i did what he suggested and all was fine after that....

congrats on the ls.... and i though i got a deal... ha ha