Scratches

Omegaman

Does anyone know how to get scratches off of the instrument panel cover (plastic I guess)? My 2008 GX470 had scratches on this panel, the one covering the speedometer/tach/temp/gas gages. I showed it to the dealer (not the one I bought it from) and they changed it will no questions. The new one has just about as many scratches. I do not know if it was scratched before they put it on, if they scratched it, or if I did trying to clean it (I used only a dry clean cloth). The steering wheel cover now also has some scratches down the left side that are about 1/2 inches long and it is obvious these little gouges were caused by a screwdriver sliding down it. I certainly did not do this. I never had any tools anywhere close to the vehicle.

I could ask the dealer to replace it again, and might, but since I cannot be sure the scratches are something they did (the steering wheel cover small gouges they definitely did) or something I did. I really do not feel right asking them to replace it again under these circumstances. So can anyone help? Here are my specific questions:

1) This thing seems to be easily scratched. Can it get scratched by just using your finger or a soft cloth/Kleenex to remove dust? I have had many new vehicles over the years (first Lexus) and have never scratched this cover by cleaning on any of them.

2) Is there some product that will remove these scratches? I do not think they are deep but are surface scratches.

3) Is there some product that would cover up these small gouges on the steering column cover that would blend in with its color? These are like four or five small gouges in a line like would be made by running a screwdriver accidently across it (like would half to have been used to change the plastic gage cover).

Thanks for any help.

Omegaman

Maybe take a pic of the scratches so we can see how deep and seriuos we are talking about?

Flitz makes a great product. Iv'e used that before with surprising results on plexiglas, and headlights.

The gauge cover plastic is VERY hard compared to many other plastics. It takes a lot to scratch them which also means it takes a lot to remove them. I've tried removing scratches on Lexus cluster lenses before to little to no avail, even with the best plastic compounds. Take a few pictures; some of the very minor ones may be removed with enough elbow grease.

Just the smallest piece of dirt on a dry rag can create scratches on the tinted gauge cover plastic. The best way to clean it is with LCD cleaner wipes and a microfiber tower to dry.

And as far as the dealer scratching your column, tell them about it, if they refuse to fix it (which i doubt considering they have insurance for that kind of stuff) then call corporate Lexus and they'll make sure it's fixed. Don't feel bad about having them fix it ;)

The gauge cover plastic is VERY hard compared to many other plastics. It takes a lot to scratch them which also means it takes a lot to remove them. I've tried removing scratches on Lexus cluster lenses before to little to no avail, even with the best plastic compounds. Take a few pictures; some of the very minor ones may be removed with enough elbow grease.

Just the smallest piece of dirt on a dry rag can create scratches on the tinted gauge cover plastic. The best way to clean it is with LCD cleaner wipes and a microfiber tower to dry.

And as far as the dealer scratching your column, tell them about it, if they refuse to fix it (which i doubt considering they have insurance for that kind of stuff) then call corporate Lexus and they'll make sure it's fixed. Don't feel bad about having them fix it ;)

I have had the service supervisor look at the scratches and he said they are on the inside of the plastic, a defect. They are not on the outside. I am waiting for a new one to come in so they can change it again. I will provide more information as to what happens.

Thanks

Omegaman