Engine Oil Capacity For A 2002 Ls 430

barleybob

The attached capacity chart is from ARRC. Although my 00 LS400 also has a 6.5 U.S. quart engine oil capacity, it takes just under 6 quarts to bring the level up the the full mark on the dipstick. This matches up to what my 00 LS owners manual says -- only 5.9 U.S. quarts is to be added when the oil filter is replaced and 5.6 quarts without filter replacement.

It is normal for all the oil to not drain from an engine during an oil change.

I'm surprised that your manual says only 4.8 U.S. quarts -- sounds fishy.

Lexus_1999_2003_Capacities.pdf

The attached capacity chart is from ARRC. Although my 00 LS400 also has a 6.5 U.S. quart engine oil capacity, it takes just under 6 quarts to bring the level up the the full mark on the dipstick. This matches up to what my 00 LS owners manual says -- only 5.9 U.S. quarts is to be added when the oil filter is replaced and 5.6 quarts without filter replacement.

It is normal for all the oil to not drain from an engine during an oil change.

I'm surprised that your manual says only 4.8 U.S. quarts -- sounds fishy.

Thanks. I guess my real issue is the dealer did an oil change on Thursday and the oil is 7/8" over the full mark on the dip stick. That is never a good thing in my experience so am going go back and get some drained

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks. I guess my real issue is the dealer did an oil change on Thursday and the oil is 7/8" over the full mark on the dip stick. That is never a good thing in my experience so am going go back and get some drained

To add tot his post, I had a simmilar issue when I changed my oil on a 91 LS400. I put in 5.6 quarts as the manual stated with drain/fill w/wilter. I measured the level and it was way too high. I drained half a quart and it was still too hing. I'm about to go down and drain a bit more, but I'm looking at 5 quarts fill the engine to the full mark on the dipstick when the engine is at operating temp. Anyone have an explanation for this ?

Thanks Much...

• 2 weeks later...

A bit over the full makr on the oil deepstick should not be an issue. It will compensate for the oil lost/burned in the normal engine operarion or leaks from the gasket covers, which are very normal on the LS as the gasket cover bolts loosen over time. To fix this add lockwahers to the bolts no more gasket cover leaks a fix that costs about $2 and an hour to do.

CPR