Gasoline Brands

Good day all.

I will be taken delivery of my GS430 next week and I would like to hear opinions about the best brand (i.e. Shell, Exxon, etc.) of premium to burn.

By the way I reside on the East cost and will travel as north as Toronto, Canada and as far south as Orlando, FL.

• 1 month later...

I would venture to say Chevron or Sunoco.. One reason for Chevron would be the Techron that comes already in the gas and polls that I have looked at. The other petroleum company I truly recommend is Sunoco. If Nascar runs on it, Why not? Think about it!! B)

Best bet for East Coast is Sunoco. You'll find them everywhere from FL to ME and they will have the exact octane grade your car requires. My 98 GS3 requires 91 and Sunoco has it. Other stations have 87, 89, and 93 so I'm forced to pay for 93 if I can't find a Sunoco. Not sure about what you'll find in The Great White North.

Best bet for East Coast is Sunoco. You'll find them everywhere from FL to ME and they will have the exact octane grade your car requires. My 98 GS3 requires 91 and Sunoco has it. Other stations have 87, 89, and 93 so I'm forced to pay for 93 if I can't find a Sunoco. Not sure about what you'll find in The Great White North.

Your vehicle should perform at its best when the appropriate level of octane is being used for the engine in which it is being combusted. There is no benefit to using gasoline of a higher octane than the engine requires to perform knock-free. I would go with manufacturer recommendations at the octane level indentified, and based on the performace of your vehicle engine, make adjustments in octane rating from there. 91, 92,93 ,94.

Informational

What do different octanes mean?

Different types of gasoline are rated on their ability to resist knocking. The actual octane number is a measurement that gauges the gasoline's ability to resist knocking. Higher octane levels indicate anti-knock potential. In most cases, light pinging or knocking will not cause power loss or severe harm to vehicles. However, heavy or prolonged knocking may cause engine damage and should be checked by an automobile mechanic.

How do I know what octane is right for my car?

Check your vehicle owner's manual for the manufacturer's recommended octane rating. Unfortunately, the manufacturer's recommended fuel octane level does not always guarantee that a vehicle will perform absolutely knock-free. Due to normal production variations, there can be noticeable differences among engines, even of the same make and model. If your vehicle experiences heavy knocking while using fuel at, or above, the recommend octane level, we suggest you have your vehicle serviced.

I use the correct 91 octane in my car. If I find myself at a station that only offers 87, 89 and 93 I go with the 93 instead of the 89. Better two points too high than two points too low. I'm not sure why you included this octane information in this thread? We were discussing the best and most widely available brands of premium gasoline...

i used to use exxon........but now i use kroger (i get 10 cents off at the pump if i spend 100 at the store) and i get a extra 5 cents off for having a kroger mastercard! (if u dont have a kroger, its a grocery store, u probnably have a company they own as they a huge company) but i just started noticing they using 10% ethonal now! its on a sigh above the pump! ick

"i will welcome myself back to the forum as im,woo hooooooooo, finally unsuspended! hahaha!"

brian