95 Ls400 260k

OmarG

hey guys, so i was drivin the other day and i passed a used car place. yes i know they are terrible.

Anyway, i saw a black 95 LS in the Value Lot. so i looked and it had a price of$3600! It was very clean, 60-70 percent tread and all. I checked online and the car does have 260k on it. But its in what i would call clean. From 20 feet away the car looks great. Leather is very good. I talked to the guy on the phone and he seems deperate to get rid of it. Got it as a trade but could not sell due to high mileage. he says everybody is interested in it until they hear 260k. If it were any other car i wouldn't even consider. But we all know LS400's last much longer than 260k.

So i talked to him and i think i can get it for around 2.6-3k tax included. Should i even bother? he says if he doesnt sell it this week he's takin it to the dealer auction.

I think it might be a nice upgrade from my not so clean 93. Opinions?

Sounds like a good deal to me. I think as long as you have your mechanic check it out first, you should be fine. At that price, how can you lose? Even if you only drive it for a few years, I think it would be well worth it -- whether you end up selling it later or not. The problem is that almost everyone judges these cars the same way they do with other cars. They don't realize that 200K or 300K miles on a Lexus LS is nothing. These cars will go virtually forever if maintained properly. I bought my 95 LS400 a year and a half ago -- it had 153,000 miles on it. Before that, I had test-driven one with 345,000 miles on it. I told the owner that was a lot of miles -- she said the mechanic at the dealership told her she was "just getting it broken in." Then she told me her best friend had one with 450,000 miles on it. Then I drove to a nearby city to check out more of them. I went to one of the Lexus dealers there -- the salesman told me they didn't have anything in my price range. I mentioned the high mileage on the other LS's I had looked at. He basically said they would just keep on going, then pointed to an older LS out in the parking lot that one of his coworkers owned. He told me it had 635,000 miles on it. Anyway, I'm convinced that 200,000 or 300,000 miles on these cars is actually pretty low mileage.

hey guys, so i was drivin the other day and i passed a used car place. yes i know they are terrible.

Anyway, i saw a black 95 LS in the Value Lot. so i looked and it had a price of$3600! It was very clean, 60-70 percent tread and all. I checked online and the car does have 260k on it. But its in what i would call clean. From 20 feet away the car looks great. Leather is very good. I talked to the guy on the phone and he seems deperate to get rid of it. Got it as a trade but could not sell due to high mileage. he says everybody is interested in it until they hear 260k. If it were any other car i wouldn't even consider. But we all know LS400's last much longer than 260k.

So i talked to him and i think i can get it for around 2.6-3k tax included. Should i even bother? he says if he doesnt sell it this week he's takin it to the dealer auction.

If it drives well, I'd definitely buy it! Black onyx is a bad color for highway cars. Mine has some spots where the paint is thin, but from 4 feet away, it looks like new, so it doesn't bother me too much--certainly not enough to merit a repaint.

Blake

If it drives well, I'd definitely buy it! Black onyx is a bad color for highway cars. Mine has some spots where the paint is thin, but from 4 feet away, it looks like new, so it doesn't bother me too much--certainly not enough to merit a repaint.

Blake

260k, Should i Buy it?

I was gonna say just ask blake...LMAO :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Man, 260K is a lot of miles, even for an LS400. Parts are expensive and some are gonna be wearing out soon, that's for sure. I'd look for something with about 80-100K fewer miles, even if it's an older year

Get a carfax report for it just to make sure it's not a flood car or hasn't been written off. Ask if there's any history for the car. Also with that kind of mileage, price out some of the more expensive parts of the car that are due for replacement or a rebuild (a/c, starter, alt) despite the Lexus reputation for durability and include them in your calculations. And as lucky1 suggests, get it checked out unless you can do it yourself ... fewer surprises later on. Otherwise price is good.

i ended up not getting the car. my next car is gonna be a nice clean 5-speed civic ex. i just need to find a 96+ for a good price. $80 fillups are scaring me a bit.

• 2 weeks later...
i ended up not getting the car. my next car is gonna be a nice clean 5-speed civic ex. i just need to find a 96+ for a good price. $80 fillups are scaring me a bit.

Getting so $80 fillups are not filling it up anymore. :angry:

I guess I'm lucky because I've not spent $ 80 to fill up yet. I've reached $70 however and I'm definitely not dancing on the table.

Getting so $80 fillups are not filling it up anymore. :angry:

My Dad has a 1990 with 315k on it.I would check or have someone check the usual items that go out on the LS.A/C compressor and clutch,PS pump and rack for leaks,upper ball joints(they only come with complete arm for $400.00+ per side),heater control display and check maintenance history.