Battery Replacement

Francisco

I bought a replacement battery for my 2001 RX300 at Costco. Now I need to install it.

I don't seem to have the right tools for this simple job. Does any body know what size of wrench I need? Should I get battery terminal pliers? Also, the battery has a bracket keeping it in place. When I try unscrewing it the entire rod moves. This does not seem right to me. Any tricks I need to know here?

Below is an image of the existing battery:

IMG_2931a.jpg

Thanks!

Both battery terminals and both front and rear support bracket are all 10mm. But I wouldn't go out and buy a wrench if you don't have it. An adjustable wrench should work fine or even pliers if used carefully. When you say the rear support rod is turning, do you actually see the rod behind the battery turning or did you not remove the plastic cap on the rod and that is what's turning? If the whole rod is turning just look down behind the battery, it is hooked in.

A word about the Costco battery. It is slightly taller than the original Panasonic battery. This is not a problem as the rear support has plenty of adjustment and the front of the bracket has a lot of flex. Just don't do what others have tried and add washers or spacers to raise the front support and then find out it touches the hood when closed. Just flex the front of the bracket down to meet the attaching point.

Both battery terminals and both front and rear support bracket are all 10mm. But I wouldn't go out and buy a wrench if you don't have it. An adjustable wrench should work fine or even pliers if used carefully. When you say the rear support rod is turning, do you actually see the rod behind the battery turning or did you not remove the plastic cap on the rod and that is what's turning? If the whole rod is turning just look down behind the battery, it is hooked in.

A word about the Costco battery. It is slightly taller than the original Panasonic battery. This is not a problem as the rear support has plenty of adjustment and the front of the bracket has a lot of flex. Just don't do what others have tried and add washers or spacers to raise the front support and then find out it touches the hood when closed. Just flex the front of the bracket down to meet the attaching point.

Thanks for your response Mikey! Yes, I did remove the plastic cap and when I turn the nut with a wrench I see the nut and rod moving. It kind of looks like the nut and rod are bound together. My concern is that if I keep unscrewing the rod would break at some point.

I think I will buy a a 10mm wrench because it is a tight fit with no room for my adjustable wrench. Given my lack of skill as evidenced by this post, I do not want to damage anything.

I appreciate the caution about the size. I measured the batteries: the original Lexus is 10"L X 7"W X 8"H and the Costo (Kirkland) is 9.5"L X 7"W X 8"H. So they seem to be similar except that the Costo one is a bit shorter lengthwise.

Thanks!

Costco lists fitment code 3 as the replacement battery for the RX. In the past the battery case has been 3/16" of an inch higher than the Panasonic. Maybe that has changed. If not just be aware of it when you install. Also, try some WD 40 or penetrating oil on the threads of the rear support above the nut.

Costco lists fitment code 3 as the replacement battery for the RX. In the past the battery case has been 3/16" of an inch higher than the Panasonic. Maybe that has changed. If not just be aware of it when you install. Also, try some WD 40 or penetrating oil on the threads of the rear support above the nut.

You are exaclty right Mikey: the battery I got is #3. Apparently the size has changed.

Good point on the WD40. Will give it a go. Thanks!!

You are exaclty right Mikey: the battery I got is #3. Apparently the size has changed.

Hi Fransisco- I installed a Costco battery in my DIL's 99RX300 (#3) and it fit perfect. I might suggest on thing on the rear bolt though, if it does not come off fairly easy with the use of penetrating oil, you may have to remove the air cleaner box so that you have axcess to the rear bolt to hold it with pliers or vice grips. A better suggestion would be to remove both cables first and after you have removed the front bolt, turn the bracket 90 degrees and you should be able to slip the old battery out and the new in without even dealing with the rear bolt. I have done this numerous times when I was in a hurry just to save time even on one where the bolt would come out. It generally works fine. Hope that helps. Roger

Matter of fact when I stop to think of it, I think when you remove the front bolt the hold down should just pivot up and come out of the lower hole without ever loosening the rear nut.

Hi Fransisco- I installed a Costco battery in my DIL's 99RX300 (#3) and it fit perfect. I might suggest on thing on the rear bolt though, if it does not come off fairly easy with the use of penetrating oil, you may have to remove the air cleaner box so that you have axcess to the rear bolt to hold it with pliers or vice grips. A better suggestion would be to remove both cables first and after you have removed the front bolt, turn the bracket 90 degrees and you should be able to slip the old battery out and the new in without even dealing with the rear bolt. I have done this numerous times when I was in a hurry just to save time even on one where the bolt would come out. It generally works fine. Hope that helps. Roger

Matter of fact when I stop to think of it, I think when you remove the front bolt the hold down should just pivot up and come out of the lower hole without ever loosening the rear nut.

Hi Roger, I just replaced the battery with no issues following your tip of removing the front bolt.

Thanks very much!!!

Francisco