Ac Blowing Warm

Well, today was the first day it really got warm enough for me to turn the AC on. (I've been stressed from these earthquakes, I live about 15 minutes from the epicenter in Illinois. Unusual for around here.) Anyway the AC is blowing warm. Last fall I had an occasional blinking AC light but it was still blowing cold. Now there is no blinking light, it stays solid, just warm air. There is refrigerant in it. I assume I'm probably looking at a bad compressor. Anyone know how much they cost or where I could get a cheap one? I tried searching the forums but it didn't come up with anything for some reason. Anyway any help would be much appreciated.

is the compressor kicking in at all? How do you know there is freon in it? My AC would come on, but the compressor would not run, I added a half a can of 134 and it works now. Just needed a little boost.

Well in the manual it says if the compressor isn't working the A/C light will blink. It doesn't blink, it stays on solid like it normally would. I know there is freon because last month when I was having my brakes done I had them check all the fluids.

Well in the manual it says if the compressor isn't working the A/C light will blink. It doesn't blink, it stays on solid like it normally would. I know there is freon because last month when I was having my brakes done I had them check all the fluids.

I assume you've checked the fuse - that would be the first thing. The A/C compressor is fused - for my '95 SC400 it's fuse #2 in the driver's kick panel, a 10 amp (red) fuse. I'm not sure about SC300/400 but many A/C systems have low pressure detectors that shut the system down to protect the compressor when low freon pressure is detected. Have someone verify there is a full load of freon in the system before assuming the compressor itself is the problem - might save some big $$$$.

Also check out whether the HVAC Door is moving. Test it by Switching from Extreme COLD to 85degrees. The door should be on the passenger side firewall inside the engine-bay.

You can also try getting a hold of JPI. I believe he's in your region and can give you some tips.

Thanks Tom and UCF for all your advice. I checked the HVAC door and it's functioning as I believe it should. Goes from hot to cold no problem. Fuse also okay. I'm taking it to my mechanic on thursday so I'll have him check the freon again and the compressor as well.

Just a little update. I'm now hearing a squealing noise coming from the area of the engine where the compressor is located when the A/C is turned on. It goes away when I turn it off. I assume that is the compressor trying to work. Does this squealing noise indicate anything in particular to anybody?

Just a little update. I'm now hearing a squealing noise coming from the area of the engine where the compressor is located when the A/C is turned on. It goes away when I turn it off. I assume that is the compressor trying to work. Does this squealing noise indicate anything in particular to anybody?

possibly the compesor locking up

Yeah, kind of what I thought. This car has been a money pit for me thus far. I guess it's my fault though for not checking it out thoroughly enough before I bought it. Oh, well. I still love the car.

same with mine. got like 25 things to fix on her. oh well. it will be right one day

I guess you can say I'm in the same boat, but I don't really let it bother me anymore. I used to fix one thing and a few other things would break, but later I discovered, once I did a through maintenance, fluid flush, new belts, and a couple of little things it was fine. For some odd reason bolt-on aftermarkets don't work well on Lexus cars. found that out after spending 10k on my LS and couldn't wait to get rid of it.

Also check out whether the HVAC Door is moving. Test it by Switching from Extreme COLD to 85degrees. The door should be on the passenger side firewall inside the engine-bay.

You can also try getting a hold of JPI. I believe he's in your region and can give you some tips.

Thankyou very much for your reply.

It sounds right. If it is the HVAC Door, how do I fix it???