Replacement Tires

Hi Guys,

I've been following the tire discussion in the other thread but wanted to ask a specific question of those of you who have replaced the OEM tires. My 400h came with the Michelins and I've been generally satisfied with them except for their performance in rain(easily hydroplane) and their wear. Since 9/06, we've driven 35K and mount dedicated snow tires on the Rx from Nov. to Apr. With that said, the Michelins are pretty worn and don't pass the "Quarter" test at this time even though they've only driven part of that 35K.

I've decided I want to replace them and have the following considerations:

1. We use snow tires so I really don't care about snow performance although the tires do need to perform in 32 +/- 10 degree temperatures.

2. I'm most concerned with wet performance, noise, and handling in that order.

3. I don't want to deal with rubbing and am happy with the OEM size/look. I'd consider a slightly larger size provided it fits on the OEM rims and honors points #1 and #2 and doesn't present fitment issues.

4. Cost is important but not paramount. I routinely buy Michelin(summer) and Bridgestone(Blizzaks) tires and have been happy with them. My Goodyear experience is not good. I don't know much about the other brands that fit the 400h(Tire Rack) including the MIchelin Pilot option and Continental.

Thanks so much for any advice you can provide!

Mark

We have had our Bridgestone Alenzas on now for approx. 13,000 miles and I have nothing but good things to say about them. They are quiet, handle very well (dry or wet) and provide a relatively smooth ride at 35 psi. An added bonus is their cost: $600 a set from the Tirerack (a bit more at today's prices, but not by much).

Thus far, they are wearing well and should last over 30,000 miles quite easily.

By the way, you can get a $100 discount via Tirerack; see:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/specialevent...reward_0408.jsp

Dave

We have had our Bridgestone Alenzas on now for approx. 13,000 miles and I have nothing but good things to say about them. They are quiet, handle very well (dry or wet) and provide a relatively smooth ride at 35 psi. An added bonus is their cost: $600 a set from the Tirerack (a bit more at today's prices, but not by much).

Thus far, they are wearing well and should last over 30,000 miles quite easily.

By the way, you can get a $100 discount via Tirerack; see:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/specialevent...reward_0408.jsp

Dave

Thanks for the great info and the $100 discount. Btw, how many miles does the orginal Michilen last on the 400h? Do we really have to rotate the tires every 5,000 miles like Lexus recommended?

RX400h, so who put in the Bridgestone tires for you? Does the $600 include labor or just tires. A Lexus service Mgr told me that they put in 4 tires for as much as $1000. Knowing they like to overcharge, I think it'd be better to shopping elsewhere.

After a lot of additional research, I decided to go with the Alenzas. They were put on today and I concur with Dave, they're awesome. The ride is smooth and quiet. The tire really seems to smooth out the bumps and rolling resistance is equivalent to the OEM Michelins. I haven't been able to thoroughly evaluate the handling but hard acceleration is very controlled and the RX responds nicely with plenty of grip. Assuming the wet performance lives up to the reviews, I can't find any reason not to seriously consider this tire.

I ended up purchasing them at the local Firestone store. The price was $197/tire mounted and balanced without factoring in the $100 rebate I'll be getting from Bridgestone. I normally buy my tires through Tire Rack but their cost was $163/tire plus $10/tire shipping. I still would have had to find someone to mount and balance them and dispose of the old tires so I feel I did reasonably well at the Firestone store. The tires were in stock there but had to be ordered at the other tire shops I called.

As for the "Ilovelexus2007" question, my OEM michelins lasted @25K miles(I use dedicated snows in the winter). I probably could've have gone one more season with them but found their hydroplaning unsafe at times and I like to have plenty of grip on the pavement. I do rotate my tires every 5K.

Mark

Our dealership mounted, balanced and aligned our Alenzas for free after I voiced my displeasure about the OEM Goodyear's wearing out at 17,000 miles.

I'd say that with these Alenzas, tire rotation is necessary only after 6000-7000 miles. With the OEMs, 5000 mile rotations were absolutely necessary.

After a lot of additional research, I decided to go with the Alenzas. They were put on today and I concur with Dave, they're awesome. The ride is smooth and quiet. The tire really seems to smooth out the bumps and rolling resistance is equivalent to the OEM Michelins. I haven't been able to thoroughly evaluate the handling but hard acceleration is very controlled and the RX responds nicely with plenty of grip. Assuming the wet performance lives up to the reviews, I can't find any reason not to seriously consider this tire.

I ended up purchasing them at the local Firestone store. The price was $197/tire mounted and balanced without factoring in the $100 rebate I'll be getting from Bridgestone. I normally buy my tires through Tire Rack but their cost was $163/tire plus $10/tire shipping. I still would have had to find someone to mount and balance them and dispose of the old tires so I feel I did reasonably well at the Firestone store. The tires were in stock there but had to be ordered at the other tire shops I called.

As for the "Ilovelexus2007" question, my OEM michelins lasted @25K miles(I use dedicated snows in the winter). I probably could've have gone one more season with them but found their hydroplaning unsafe at times and I like to have plenty of grip on the pavement. I do rotate my tires every 5K.

Mark

Did they Road Force Balance them? It's not quite as critical as with higher performance cars/tires but it's still a good idea.

. . . . . snip

RX400h, so who put in the Bridgestone tires for you? Does the $600 include labor or just tires. A Lexus service Mgr told me that they put in 4 tires for as much as $1000. Knowing they like to overcharge, I think it'd be better to shopping elsewhere.

Lexus is notorious for thinking their customers have DEEP pockets. I asked the closest Dealer how much it cost for the 30K mile inspection (which you can completly do yourself) where the only parts are the cabin air filter, the ICE air filter, oil filter & oil ... and since they consider it a 'major' inspection? tho I can't see why ... $845 ! ! !

THUD (sound of my jaw hitting the floor). I'm doing it myself.

Someone, thank the well-dressed female Lexus owners that I often see dropping their cars off at the dealership and saying, "just do whatever it needs." Music to a service writers ears.

Tom

What ever you put on, make certain your tires are NOT set to the measily 36lb that the 400h originally had stated was proper. Many of us had them set that way, only to find premature wear. Our OEM's were more than shot by 24K miles.

The sticker on the door jamb lists 30 psi. 35-36 psi seems to be the perfect pressure.

Mark

Did they Road Force Balance them? It's not quite as critical as with higher performance cars/tires but it's still a good idea.

Jim,

I'm not familiar with Road Force Balancing. That wasn't offered as an option to me. I declined the road protection plan however.

Mark

Never being one who wants to spend unnecessary money or effort, I have never been a fan of tire rotation by odometer readings. I periodically measure tread depth with an accurate tread gage, and if I see a difference approaching 1/32 inch, either between tires or across a tire, I will rotate. I am now approaching 30,000 miles on my original Goodyear's and have rotated once. It appears they will last another 5k. I do not see how I would have gotten more miles with more frequent rotation. Am I missing something in my analysis? I always carry 36 psi gage pressure.

Never being one who wants to spend unnecessary money or effort, I have never been a fan of tire rotation by odometer readings. I periodically measure tread depth with an accurate tread gage, and if I see a difference approaching 1/32 inch, either between tires or across a tire, I will rotate. I am now approaching 30,000 miles on my original Goodyear's and have rotated once. It appears they will last another 5k. I do not see how I would have gotten more miles with more frequent rotation. Am I missing something in my analysis?

No.

I always carry 36 psi gage pressure.

I stick with 32 PSI, always have, except on the rear of the Porsche.

You should really be checking tread depth at the center and each side. Excessive side wear (both sides) in comparison to center wear indicates you're mostly running under-inflated, excessive tread center wear indicates too much pressure.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a very pleasant experience at our local Lexus dealer at just over 12,000 miles, just shy of 2 years since purchase. My original Goodyear tires were approaching the point of not being safe, IMHO. Lincoln head on a penny depth. The inside front drivers side was also showing extra wear. The dealer inspected the tires and obvious premature wear. They quickly replaced all of the Goodyear tires with the appropriate new Michelin tires that all of the new RX400h on their sales lot had on them. They replaced the tires, balanced and aligned the front end at no cost. Now that is excellent service.

I am a very satisfied Lexus RX 400h customer. A lot of the forum posts are complaints, but not this one!

Palm Desert, CA http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/style...fault/smile.gif