Question About My Rx

tag_addict

Hey everyone

New to the forum

My family owns a 03 Saab 9-3 and a 04 RX330

Love both

However,

On my RX330 there is a jerk when shifting...

I was wondering if this is with anyone else and is there a cure

My service manager said I was complaining too much (!Removed!)... only dealership in town!

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Hey everyone

New to the forum

My family owns a 03 Saab 9-3 and a 04 RX330

Love both

However,

On my RX330 there is a jerk when shifting...

I was wondering if this is with anyone else and is there a cure

My service manager said I was complaining too much (!Removed!)... only dealership in town!

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

The ENTIRE Toyota/Lexus FWD and F/AWD product line, fleetwide, has had transaxle design flaws beginning with, during, the developement of the original RX300 late in the last century. Several attempts at fixes have been made, tried, over the succeeding years but none successful so far. Maybe '09.

I have an 04 RX330 and make sure you do change the trans fluid regularly and make sute you use Toyota T-IV fluid only. I do a drain/ fill (3 qts.) every 15-20,000 miles and did a complete 4 drain/fill flush (12 qts) at 120,000. Now at 140,000 and the trans still shifts nicely. Fluid replacement is the definite key to these transmissions. Note: There is no serviceable filter in the transmission on the AWD so drain fills and flushes is all dealers do. You can easily do them yourself with a fluid extractor or drain pan as there is a square cutout in the underbody plastic panel at the trans drain bolt. I ran the factory fill 30,000 miles and then started my regimen so my fluid has never been to the point where it is even dirty or discolored. Make sure you change the fluid when hot as all the contaminants are suspended in there.

If you have an AWD also make sure you change the transfer case oil 80w90 GL5 and rear diff oil 80w90 GL5 every 40-50,000 miles and they will stay like new as well. Each take a quart.

I have an 04 RX330 and make sure you do change the trans fluid regularly and make sute you use Toyota T-IV fluid only. I do a drain/ fill (3 qts.) every 15-20,000 miles and did a complete 4 drain/fill flush (12 qts) at 120,000. Now at 140,000 and the trans still shifts nicely. Fluid replacement is the definite key to these transmissions. Note: There is no serviceable filter in the transmission on the AWD so drain fills and flushes is all dealers do. You can easily do them yourself with a fluid extractor or drain pan as there is a square cutout in the underbody plastic panel at the trans drain bolt. I ran the factory fill 30,000 miles and then started my regimen so my fluid has never been to the point where it is even dirty or discolored. Make sure you change the fluid when hot as all the contaminants are suspended in there.

If you have an AWD also make sure you change the transfer case oil 80w90 GL5 and rear diff oil 80w90 GL5 every 40-50,000 miles and they will stay like new as well. Each take a quart.

Hey just wanted to thank you for your input, I am on two Lexus sites and appreciate the informative feedback like yours. Welcome aboard.

Thanks! I have just decided to start doing all the maintenance on my RX that I can do myself because most of it is pretty easy to do and have decided to keep the car as a hand me down to the next teenager in line for a car which will occur in about 14 months. The RX should have about 170,000 miles when my daughter gets it so it won't be so dramatic when she taps someone in the parking lot. Was going to trade it on a new ES350 but I'll wait a year and won't have to shop for 2 cars.