2000 Es300 - Disc Brake Rotors

I just had the disc rotors changed by my mechanic (not the Lexus dealership) and the ones that he installed have developed a lot of rust on the housing (not the disc itself). The mechanic says that this is "normal" but it looks terrible. Is it just the after market brand that he used or does the official Lexus brand also rust?

-Computerguy

I just had the disc rotors changed by my mechanic (not the Lexus dealership) and the ones that he installed have developed a lot of rust on the housing HUB..?? (not the disc itself). The mechanic says that this is "normal" but it looks terrible. Is it just the after market brand that he used or does the official Lexus brand also rust?

-Computerguy

Yes, the rotor's braking surface will often rust slightly, overnight even, if exposed to moisture. And yes, also the "hub" will develop a fairly high level, a non-harmful level, of rust over the years. Most of us are satisfied with that since the wheel covers the rust covered hub.

The only solution that I know of would be to paint the hub with a HIGH TEMPERATURE tolerant paint.

It occurs to me that you might really mean that the brake calipers are rusting and the PAINT is also the only solution for that.

The rotors that come on the Lexus have a coating of some sort on the hub that many after market rotors do not. My OEM rotors still have a gray look with no rust. I have a backup set of Bendix that I used for a short time and the hub rusted immediately. My OEM rotors came with the car in 2000. You can get after market rotors with either a gray or black anodized coating if you look. They are a little more expensive. Most shops just put on what is cheapest.

The rotors that come on the Lexus have a coating of some sort on the hub that many after market rotors do not. My OEM rotors still have a gray look with no rust. I have a backup set of Bendix that I used for a short time and the hub rusted immediately. My OEM rotors came with the car in 2000. You can get after market rotors with either a gray or black anodized coating if you look. They are a little more expensive. Most shops just put on what is cheapest.

This is the best solution for someone who have their brakes done. An anodized surface will outlast a painted surface. You could try spraying a rust converter on the hub protecting the wear surface from overspray.