Your Opinon Please

-HyJynX-

Hey guys, just wanted your opinon and input on this SC that im looking to buy, hopefully. Click here Only thing is I dont have all the money I would like to right now because I am still selling everything from my old car and wont be ready for a good 2 weeks or so..Im thinking of just putting down $2500 now and then paying pretty big monthly payments, which I can handle. Just wanting your input, is this a smart move or should I wait till another 5spd comes accros..they are very hard to find around here. Thanks

BUY THAT! it looks very nice, find out kbb price and tell them the price you found, then say you wanted and automatic and not a standard but the 5-speed will do for a lower price, RAPE the car looking for any small problem and bring it up(ie smoker smell, lights out, weak struts on trunk) then ask for lower price, if they give you a funky number like 10879, tell them to bring it down to 10500. thats how i got mine down from 18k to 11,500 :)

Before you buy the car, you need to visit a Lexus dealer (around $175-250, called pre-certified inspection) or take your most trusted mechanic. There's alway a flaw with the car, and use that to drop the price down to $6k-7k. Find as many flaws with the car;

if the tech from Lex says there's an oil leak, use that to bring the price down to $6k, because it is a :censored: to repair.

Check engine lights, down to $9k

body damage/undercarriage/interior: $9500-10k

Let us know what else comes up, and we'll help you come up with better pricing.

If there are no flaws (very rear), then start neg. around $10-11k, and increase by $250. Be tough, and don't back down.

Good Luck

Thx guys. I went to go check the car out this past sunday, and it seemed like it was in great condition. We didnt have time to throughly check it, it was raning and we wanted to get out of the rain. Still have to test drive it, and "rape" the car ahha. They seemed real stiff on the price..so it will take some negotiating. After taxes and etc it came out to be 15,500 :blink: Pretty harsh price..still gatta get back to them and gatta talk about lowering that price down. In the KBB it goes for a good 16.5k I gatta find those lil flaws...BTW I carfaxed it and there is nothing wrong with its past. Thanks again guys.

as the famous Jesse James from West Coast Choppers once stated, never buy a car at night or in the rain.

Just remember when talking to the dealer, you're in charge, not them.

as the famous Jesse James from West Coast Choppers once stated, never buy a car at night or in the rain.

Just remember when talking to the dealer, you're in charge, not them.

Nice little quote haha. Im pretty new at this dealership thing, so my dad does most of the talking.

Good luck with that purchase. Just be careful because that area has a lot of small, independent dealers who can be pretty shady.

I bought my 95 SC300 w/91K for $8500 in SoCal and thought I got a great deal. Then I was thinking about trading it in for a truck for my job and hobbies and the car dealer showed me all the self fixes the previous owner had done. And the previous owner was some affluent guy who lived near the beach in the hills in a nice house who also owned a Ferrari and restored Benz so I didn't even think about him trying to cut corners with fixes. I was just mesmerized by the rechromed rims and new paint job he did. Shiny things do that to you!

Be careful and good luck!

Yea, ive heard a couple bad things about the area..some real shady dealers around there.

And the interior looks to be in perfect condition! Not sure if the seats have been replaced..I should ask about that...they do look to good to be true, no signs of wear at all.

i concur, the best time to wheel and deal is in the rain, because NO one wants to shop in the rain because of "bad luck", so sales people are willing to bring down the price to get a sale that day. You hafta go in with the attitude that your going to leave with out the car. did they already tell you the price or did you figure that out? if they told you the price thats bad because then they know your not going to negotiate. (my friends uncle is a sales person at sewell lexus in dallas, so i know all the tricks for sales people)

He ran up all the taxes and fees to come up with the final price, but it really isnt set. Im sure if my dad gets in his good mood we can bring it down a couple grand, well hopefully. Im ganna stop by sumtime next week..hopefully I would all ready have sold most of my stuff and have the right amount of money.

To me thats really expensive, but if you have the money I guess its easier to go for a 95.

I personally think that if there is no difference between years, go for the lowest year, but still low miles.

There is no real difference between a 92 and a 95 if they have the same miles, except maybe sun damage.

Theres 92 5spds to be had for 6-7k on the private party market. Why pay 13k out the door at a dealer.

My favorite trick of their's is "let me go ask my boss about that." All salesmen know the lowest price they can get away with, and always know how much they're going to make at all times. I went with my sister to go buy a '97 Talon TSI, and got a really great price on it. She walked in and you could tell that the guy knew that he was going to be able to milk her for every penny until he walked outside and I had the hood open. He was completely speachless as I went over the car. "This has wear, this is going out, this will need to be replaced." I've been around DSMs for quite a long time, and knew exactly what to look for. I got the car down far lower than their asking price and out the door. He wasn't going to budge on the price. I made my offer, he went to go "check" with his boss, and when he got back I had the cash sitting on the table with the car key sitting on top of it. You control if you buy the car or not. And you are in charge, the biggest mistake you can make is acting like you want the car. Once they know you want the car, they know that they can be more strict on the price. If you act as if, the car is "alright," and it would be convient for you to drive it home, but you could really go for another one you saw, that's when they want your business.

HEY MAN...OK FIRST OF ALL IF IT HAS HEATED SEATS, TRAC CONTROL, AND NACAMICHI SOUND..THAT PRICE IS RIGHT ON...BUT I'M BETTING AGAINST ALL THAT. IF IT DOESN'T HAVE ALL THAT THE PRICE SHOULD BE MORE LIKE 10,900....(I JUST BOUGHT A 95 FOR 10,300 THAT HAD EVERYTHING BUT NACAMICHI)

ALSO BEFORE YOU BUY ANYTHING!

1. MAKE SURE IT'S NOT AN AUCTION CAR...NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER BUY AN AUCTION CAR FROM A DEALER.

2. GO TO THE LEXUS DEALER IN YOUR AREA WITH THE VIN FROM THAT CAR AND HAVE THEM RUN A "NATIONAL VEHICLE SERVICE HISTORY REPORT"....THIS WILL TELL YOU A) IF IT WAS MAINTAINED AT A DEALER B) IF IT MISSED ANY SERVICES AND C) WHAT MAJOR STUFF HAS DIED ON IT...LOOK TO MAKE SURE THE A/C COMPRESSOR, CD PLAYER (IF EQUIPED), AND POSSIBLE THE POWER STEERING PUMP HAVE BEEN REPLACED....YOU DON'T WANT TO HAVE TO BUY THIS STUFF (THE A/C COMPRESSOR ON IT'S OWN RUNS 1200 DOLLARS FOR THAT CAR)

3. HAVE THE DEALER PRODUCE A CARFAX REPORT...IF THEY SAY NO YOU DON'T NEED THAT CAR THAT BAD....BELIEVE ME THEY ARE OUT THERE.

4. AFTER ALL THAT OPEN THE HOOD AND LOOK UNDER THE OIL FILL CAP...IF THERE IS BLACK GOOP UNDER THERE AND THATS ALL BUILT UP AND DOWN IN THE HOLE DON'T BUY THE CAR IT HAS WHAT WE CALL SLUDGE..AND THAT ENGINE HAS HAD IT.

GOOD LUCK AND GOOD HUNTING....HOPE IT ALL WORKS OUT AN LET US KNOW!

Get the car inspected by Lexus BEFORE you buy it. It is well worth the money, as these cars can be very very expensive to repair.

I did not do that with my sc400 and am out about a grand in initial repairs.

Hint, there is a way to make the check engine light go away for the test drive.

After you buy it, it comes back on.

Cost--new ecm.

Also, get a post sale warranty. at least 30 days for issues to surface.

Assume it is a dealer.

Do car fax also.

Good luck