Cracked Windshield

Suddenly my windshield has a crack, and there's no sign of having been hit by a rock. It runs 14.5" diagonal, starting from the lower driver's-side corner and running right through my registration and inspection stickers.

My insurance only kicks in after $500. I am quoted $254 plus tax for an aftermarket replacement.

I only drove the car 5k miles last year.

1. I don't need to inspect it until September (would it fail from a crack this long?)

2. I don't see it growing due to the light usage.

3. I would prefer to wait on this repair, just put $1000 into fixing the AC leak.

Should I only accept the Lexus OEM part in this case? Is this something I can do myself if I can locate a windshield, or is this too tricky and potentially dangerous to do without proper training?

thanks.

i got both of my gs' done for $150. i got an expedition done for $150.

with OEM Toyota glass and Lexus-approved installation methods?

lexus approved installation methods for a freakin windshield? lollll what do u think u drive a rolls royce? what they wash their hands with holy water before working on your car

i got both of my gs' done for $150. i got an expedition done for $150.

with OEM Toyota glass and Lexus-approved installation methods?

lexus approved installation methods for a freakin windshield? lollll what do u think u drive a rolls royce? what they wash their hands with holy water before working on your car

Not important? please see the fifth post under: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=26988

I will quote it here:

Just for reference, I have an aftermarket windshield and am ??% happy with it. Sure it says "XYZ brand" on it, but it was $700.00 cheaper than OEM. The only problems with the install were, besides the glass co. employee being a numb-nuts, he did not use the OEM roof-to-glass seal. Now, water running forward on the roof that would normally be caught by this important moulding, just runs over the aftermarket (cheap) moulding and down the windshield.

When removing the old windshield, lexus specifies cutting it out with piano wire, not a utility knife. My company used a utility knife. Yon can imagine what that does to the paint and corrosion protection that used to be in the glass channels. The glass co. solution? Just smear a little "black stuff" on the bare metal that they just cut into. I don't think so, pal.

The roof rails must be detached from their clips. If the clips are distorted, the rails will rattle. The clips are riveted to the A-pillars and will have to be drilled out. This must be carefully done so as not to enlarge the holes. Otherwise, the new rivets will not hold the clips tightly. The roof rails will rattle.

Ahh, let's not forget that the mirror mount will not be installed on aftermarket glass. It will need to be pryed from your old glass and glued to the new glass. If it is not exactly positioned, the little wire cover that goes from the rear view mirror to the headliner will not fit back in its place. Ask me how I know.

And the pinacle of professionalism: "Why can I not see my VIN number through the little transparent VIN area anymore?" Answer: "Oh, I must have had it a little too high. Let me drag the glass down a bit and leave it in a crooked position so that you might read 70% of your VIN. Is that better? They must all be like that. I thought these Lexuses were made better <<laughs>>" <--- I just about passed out when he said this to me.

Moral: If you cannot do it yourself, insist on watching the person you paid to do it.

Find a Lexus dealer you trust, and make it clear to them that you want the car to be EXACTLY like it was before the damage occured. Not a clip, rivet, cover, or anything else to be out of place. If they do not mount glass themselves, surely they will direct you to someone they trust. Insurance companies rarely direct their clients to anywhere but the most economical establishments.

Not important, the methods?

If you continue to drive it.. the crack will get bigger.. not to mention that the whole windshield will collapse in your face.. Just take it to some mexican workers.. They will give you a good price.. dont take it to the fancy places..