Seen A "broke Down" Ls400 Today... Strange Area.

90LS400Lexus

On my way home from work today, I seen a nice blue gen 1 LS400 setting in the middle of a parking lot (in the area where people drive thru) abandoned. It looks like it may have stalled out. No one was around and the strangest part is there was no license plate... not even a temporary tag.

Nevertheless, it was strange. In fact, it looked alot like that "$6000" 1991 Lexus that I was looking at a few months ago that was in mint condition. <_<

in the past 2 years of driving my LS i've only seen 2 on the side of the road. thats means alot too because i drive alot(about 25k a year). And i see a ton of 1st gens on the road here in the Metro Atlanta area. I saw 4 just on the way to the bank.

I hate seeing neglected ls400's, especially when i think how magnificent they once were, and how much effort went into building such a good car. Other neglected cars don't bother me as much. They still do though, i have alot of mechanical sympathy.

Well, I passed by there again today (on my way back to town) and the car was gone, but less than a .5 of a mile, I saw a LS identical to it heading toward me, with about 4 people in it, happy as larks. It passed and I looked in the mirror and it was the same car, because again, it had no license plate. Now thats strange. I am surprised a patrol car has not stopped them yet. <_< I am wondering now if it was even broken down... maybe they went over the bank to vomit or something. :)

Yeah, we seem to have more gen 1 LS400s here than gen 2 LS400s. In fact, when I was passing that blue one a little while ago, it was in front of a house where the people have a 93-94 LS thats the same color as mine (actually, its identical to yours). It was strange to have 3 gen 1 LS's right there in one spot at one time, because they are not all that common here.

I know what you mean about neglect... one of our friends has a 2000 Hyundai Elantra and from the looks of it now, its hard to believe its only 8 years old. I know the older Hyundais are crap, but this must have been about when they started getting better... you would not believe the total abuse this car has taken over the years and it still runs. :huh:

• 1 month later...

Remember this car I mentioned about 6 weeks ago, how I thought it was broke down, but I saw it the next day gliding down the road.

Unfortunately, when driving home this evening I passed by a storage lot where they keep crashed cars. You know whats next... the car is destroyed! What was a once stunning medium blue LS400 with the chrome wheels was ruined. Look like it had flipped over several times. :o Top was not caved in, but the car was beaten and battered all over. :( Definitely totalled. There was not one panel on the car that was not heavily damaged.

I hope the passengers were OK.

A good reason to always carry a camera. Pretty strong cars and in all my miles I have never seen any Lexus broken down.

I know it. If I remember I will go by and take a photo of the car tomorrow. Its not a pretty sight. You can tell the car took some hard hits, but held up well. You can tell these cars are built like tanks.

• 2 months later...
in the past 2 years of driving my LS i've only seen 2 on the side of the road. thats means alot too because i drive alot(about 25k a year). And i see a ton of 1st gens on the road here in the Metro Atlanta area. I saw 4 just on the way to the bank.

I hate seeing neglected ls400's, especially when i think how magnificent they once were, and how much effort went into building such a good car. Other neglected cars don't bother me as much. They still do though, i have alot of mechanical sympathy.

I am a telephone man in Long Beach, CA and I see boatloads of beaten 1st Gen Ls400's. They are everywhere. They are tanks and seem to be highly prized by African-American and Cambodians. Dont know why, but those 2 ethnic groups are always driving the worst looking 400's. They all sound great though. I saw an unlocked, windows down abandoned one for 2 months behind an apartment building and was very close to grabbing the clear climate control unit, but didnt want to lose a good job for a $100 piece. A week later it was gone.