Error Code-evap Emisson Control Malfunction

CIrwin

Hello folks

I've got an 02' IS300 with about 80k miles. Error code reads "Evap Emission Control Malfunction". My miles per gallon gauge is also way off, reading about twice what it should. Is this something I need to take to a dealer to diagnose? They want $50 just to read the error and then charge for how long it takes to diagnose. Also, am I correct in thinking that this does not alter the fuel air mixture, like an 02 sensor, but is just reading a presure loss in the fuel/vaccum system?

Thanks

Charley

None of those. It's the line that vents from your gas tank to the charcoal canister. There's another line that runs to your intake. It could also be a bad or loose fuel filler cap. Evap has to do with preventing gas fumes from evaporating into the air. The worst thing could be that the charcoal canister needs replaced.

None of those. It's the line that vents from your gas tank to the charcoal canister. There's another line that runs to your intake. It could also be a bad or loose fuel filler cap. Evap has to do with preventing gas fumes from evaporating into the air. The worst thing could be that the charcoal canister needs replaced.

Thanks for that Bartkat.

I guess I'll just take it to the Dealer. I don't think it is the gas cap, but i guess they'll need to diagnose to see if it is the canister or cap.

Charley