Ls430 Trunk Hinge Harness

SlotFixr

Hi all,

I recently purchased an 02 LS430 in great condition from a local non-Lexus dealer, and love my new (to me) Lexus. Now I understand what everyone's talking about... what a car!

I also want to give props to everyone on LOC Forums. Tons of great information, everyone in the community is extremely helpful!

The trunk hinge harness on this car (probably most Lexus?) seems like it's under a lot of tension when the trunk opens and I'm concerned about future damage. I've read through several LOC threads that talk about problems in this area in cars built in the 90's; perhaps this has been addressed in later LS's, or maybe they're just not old enough to display symptoms.

I don't want to second-guess Lexus engineering, but I'd like to ease the tension on this harness to preclude problems in the future. All the threads describe symptoms & repairs in this area, but has anyone proactively tried to make adjustments on their cars to make this harness less prone to wear?

Thanks for your help!

Congratulations Slotfixr on your purchase, and welcome to the LOC! :cheers: About your question, when you say it's under a lot of tension do you mean it's hard to move, period? I have a 95 and in the owners manual is states that half way through the opening of the trunk, the lid is suppose to slow to allow any water to drain on to the rear glass gradually, thus minimizing the amount of water that would possibly spill in to the open trunk.

Congratulations Slotfixr on your purchase, and welcome to the LOC! :cheers: About your question, when you say it's under a lot of tension do you mean it's hard to move, period? I have a 95 and in the owners manual is states that half way through the opening of the trunk, the lid is suppose to slow to allow any water to drain on to the rear glass gradually, thus minimizing the amount of water that would possibly spill in to the open trunk.

Thanx raymsixsix!

On my 02 the trunk pops approx. 1/2" then is easily lifted the rest of the way open, although there's resistance in the top few inches which *may* be caused by the tight harness, but more likely is just the hinge design to resist damage by over-extension of the hinge. Either way, you can see and feel the harness is tight between the rear deck & the trunk lid when open. The harness is covered by black nylon webbing which is attached at both ends, perhaps only the webbing is tight and the actual wiring inside has slack at both ends to preclude breakage... hard to tell without a little recreational disassembly <_<

Since I've read about some pretty strange symptoms in LOC threads due to this problem, I thought I'd see if it's worth spending a few minutes now to save possible headache later.

• 5 weeks later...

Make sure that verify the wiring harness operation and see if it in fact is under tension. If not, enjoy your car, it is a non- issue in your year. But if still have any concerns call the Lexus hot line in your owners manual, they should be able to answer the problem. The usual way the Lexus cars are made, the mistake made in one year/s are corrected in a very proper way in the next generation/years. Like I said enjoy your car after checking and being satisfied.

Second the best thing you could do is intall a PS Magnetic by-pass filter and flush the system and flush the brake system change all other fluids and put Amsoil oil on that engine, you could use other brands of oil, and enjoy the engine for a long period of time. Most here prefer Amsoil, Castrol Synthetic, but in the transmission only use the factory fluid, never allow anything else from non-Lexus places. This will really save you many headaches. Also inspect the wiring in the car and cover exposed, worn wiring protectors. The other thing would be the suspension, eventually will give you some trouble so will the engine mounts usually after 100k due to the heat the engine produces.

On the interior using the Lexol and the dealer Leather products its very good. Also there is a nice cleaner protectant Aerospace Protectant 303 it is worth every penny since it will protect your car from the bad solar rays, better than anything in the market.

CPR