Gas Prices

amf1932

Oh Mr. President.....you're flirting with disaster if you don't put on that cape and start doing your magical powers.... oil is heading towards $90 on a "jobs" report that basically says "we've lost the fewest so far", not "we've gained any". Let us not forget the "my small business boost money is sitting in my gas tank" effect on the economy that was one of the nails in the coffin last year.

Oil is THE element that could turn this slow recovery of a "U" shaped recession, into a double dip "W" in a hurry. Remember, WE are the economy. OUR wallets drive this thing. With taxes and other things destine to start heading up. $4 gas is the last thing we need. He better get in this fight, or it'll be the #1 item his opponents will go after in a few months.

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 5 weeks later...

Ok, so wait a minute.... We have had a run-up in the cost of oil over the past month, at times flirting with $90/barrel again. But, a rig in the gulf of mexico explodes, spewing oil into the ocean from a mile under water.....and NOW the price of oil goes down below $80? Can you imagine if this were just a short 24 months ago?

And 24 hours later....the dow drops the most in a single day, ever...998 points (recovers a good bit though).

Oh Mr. Capitalism....if you don't see the tie between the two, you're doomed to do it again. You want your people to get back out there and "mobilize", you've got to get the one and only number ALL of your people see every single day on the street corner....down. That little number is more than just a price tag, it's an indicator to the buying public of how things are going, and how safe their economy is. The higher it goes, the less confident the people feel....the less they're going to risk spending on things they "want" instead of "need". "Want" is capitalism, and the backbone and fuel of the world's dominating economy.

I'm not saying the price of gas is the sole contributor to the new troubles on the plate, especially in Europe...but it sure isn't doing anything but hurting the recovery. I think this week's Gulf Coast disaster, and the fact that it wasn't exploited to strike fear of supply/demand shortages in to the price, shows the true nature of the reason for the runup in prices two years ago....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

$3.09 (premium) here in Chitcago. $2.69 (premium) back in NC.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

• 2 weeks later...

I hate to say it, I really do, but I think this needs to happen to get the attention of the people back on these guys. I read an article today that the oil lobbies are now starting to fuel up their politicians of choice for 2012, and don't expect Obama to be on that list. He is pushing to eliminate a $60b subsidy package that has been with big oil for years, and wants to tax them at higher revenue levels. You know what he's doing don't you? He's picking the one number in the entire global economy that every voter understands, every voter is being abused by, and starting to set the stage like he is our only hope for relief going into 2012 election season. Funny...where has he been during the past 3 years? What happened to the investigations promised in 2008? Gas prices are going to be his meal ticket for reelection, mark my words on that! I haven't made up my mind if I'll buy this stance or not, because it just seems too convenient, obvious, and a buck short / day late.

Mideast turmoil these days, regulational change discussions on big oil in the media soon = all the market volatility speculators will ever need to hijack the fear factor. I'm betting $135 peak on oil in the next 12 months somewhere. But this time, we'll all know why without any doubt.

My memory is a little weak at the moment. Obama wasn't President in the 70's, was he responsible for that too?

Paul

Not saying he is responsible for the price of gas today, you and I both know he's not. But, what I am saying, and a spin through the media rolls will support, is that I clearly remember the price of gas a huge platform used by the democrats in the last campaign against the republicans. Since then, they've focused on just about every other issue imaginable, except this, this being the ONE and ONLY number in the massive overflow of economic news over the past three years that EVERY single person with a voting card knows about. They know what that number is, what it was, and where it's going. Its the one number that doesn't discriminate it's impact of understanding to your kitchen table budget on your level of business savy or education.

My memory is a little weak at the moment. Obama wasn't President in the 70's, was he responsible for that too?

Paul

Not saying he is responsible for the price of gas today, you and I both know he's not. But, what I am saying, and a spin through the media rolls will support, is that I clearly remember the price of gas a huge platform used by the democrats in the last campaign against the republicans. Since then, they've focused on just about every other issue imaginable, except this, this being the ONE and ONLY number in the massive overflow of economic news over the past three years that EVERY single person with a voting card knows about. They know what that number is, what it was, and where it's going. Its the one number that doesn't discriminate it's impact of understanding to your kitchen table budget on your level of business savy or education.

Your right, in that there are those things that are simply indivisible by any measurement. Whether that is the price of gasoline, food, the price of a house, or a credit hour of college tuition. Over the years, regardless of which party has been in office, I have come to believe that those that have, will have more, and those that have less are going to continue to get less and pay more. We have the best House and Senate that money can buy, and I'm becoming more cynical by the day. Yet, it is the best system in the world for self governance and there are people in Washington who do give a tinkers damn.

I absolutely do not know any more what or if there is connection between the price of a barrel of oil and a gallon of gas. It is just a total hat trick in my perception. If oil hits $138 @brl. what will gas at the pump be?