General Maintanence

Hi

New IS250RWD owner of 2 days - converted from Acura TSX. Got my IS from Lexus of Westminster (great service so far and good deal, highly recommend it). While I am getting to know my new set of wheels, I just have a quick question.

How long did the tires last for you? Dealer told me 15000-17000 but would like to know real world numbers. and where are good places to get those tires (internet?)? Thanks.

Hi

New IS250RWD owner of 2 days - converted from Acura TSX. Got my IS from Lexus of Westminster (great service so far and good deal, highly recommend it). While I am getting to know my new set of wheels, I just have a quick question.

How long did the tires last for you? Dealer told me 15000-17000 but would like to know real world numbers. and where are good places to get those tires (internet?)? Thanks.

I still have my originals, at 24,000 miles. I do a lot of highway driving, however. I did get one replaced due to a nail, and I did it at the dealership. I found it to be the same price as everywhere else. That was at that time. Might be different now..

Hi

My wife's IS250 front tires need replacing (right now at 35K miles). The rear tires look like they can go another 5K to 8K miles. She is not a "performance" driver at all, so she gets good mileage on tires. 80% of her miles are on the freeway. The front stock Bridgestone Potenza's are very soft and started cupping at around 20K miles. The dealer suggested replacing at least the fronts at the 30K service, but I said "No I'm going to let them go until the 35K service" (I knew they had another safe 5K miles left on them at least). Here in the Phoenix, AZ area we don't have wet/snow driving condition. I just spoke to Discount Tire here after doing some research. I have decided to go with Dunlop SP Sport Signatures. Dunlop does NOT have a mileage warranty for these, but I don't care, if they go 35 or 40K miles without cupping, I'll be happy. They are about $130 each, plus all the other taxes and mounting (225x40x18-fronts) They are rated 2nd in TireRack's testing. They are Z rated also, and have one of the highest tread life numbers for a Z rated tire - 460.

I was concernced about the air pressure sensor in the wheels getting broken by other than the dealer tire installers, but the Manager at Discount showed me the sensor and how it is mounted inside the wheel and how it can get broken by untrained tire techs. He assured me that he personally trains all the local techs on how to properly change tires with these type of sensors. And, if they do break one, they pay for it. My local Discount Tire shop will have to order the tires, so I'll know more by the end of this week. My local Lexus dealer just quoted me $1,100 for two front tires (and they only offered 2 choices - both 15K miles rated tires), a wheel alignment, and front brakes, with the 35K service.

I think I'll save some $$$ on this service, but I'll know a lot more after about 20K miles on the tires. I'll post my experiences perhaps later in 2009.

Thanks.

I just put two of those Continentals on the rear of my IS350. I took about a 50 mile ride through the mountains and I'm very happy with the stabilility and grip. I think they're probably better than the Dunlop Sport Max that came on the car. I paid $402 total for 2 mounted and balanced at a local tire store. I expect I'll be putting some like them on the front in a few months.