Driver's Mirror Malfunction

Gabadoochi

We bought our 2008 GX in late December. For the first few months, when I put the car in reverse, both mirrors pointed down to the ground so you could see the pavement clearly while reversing. Now, the driver's mirror only moves slightly down, and I cannot see the pavement. The passenger's mirror still goes down so you can see the pavement while you are reversing.

Did my driver's side break? The dealer I brought it to said that the driver's side does not go down as far as the passenger side and that it's functionality is fine. That makes no sense to me-- why would one side allow you to see the road, but not the other side?

Can anyone else tell me if the two mirrors should have the same rotation? (Both my passenger mirror and driver's mirror start off in the same position.)

Thanks.

We bought our 2008 GX in late December. For the first few months, when I put the car in reverse, both mirrors pointed down to the ground so you could see the pavement clearly while reversing. Now, the driver's mirror only moves slightly down, and I cannot see the pavement. The passenger's mirror still goes down so you can see the pavement while you are reversing.

Did my driver's side break? The dealer I brought it to said that the driver's side does not go down as far as the passenger side and that it's functionality is fine. That makes no sense to me-- why would one side allow you to see the road, but not the other side?

Can anyone else tell me if the two mirrors should have the same rotation? (Both my passenger mirror and driver's mirror start off in the same position.)

Thanks.

If the mirrors worked previously, they should do so again. I had my passenger side mirror motor replaced under warranty when it mal-functioned (2003 Model). Try a different dealer or service advisor. My Lexus tech told me that it was a known problem. The plastic parts on the motor wear out prematurely.

• 1 year later...

My 2006 GS 300 had this problem last year and it was concerning the passenger mirror, and the dealer replaced it under warranty.

I told them that they should replace both units since they were known to fail and I was told that they would replace each unit when they failed.

Two days ago the driver's side mirror failed while 45 days out of warranty and the dealer told me it would cost $850 plus labor to replace the mirror but since I was on my third Lexus they would cut me a deal and only charge me $528 for the motor and the labor would be free.

Needless to say, that I was livid and after speaking with the Service Manager at Lexus of Austin, The replacement will be on the house.

I think I will buy another Lexus GS.

Thanks Lexus of Austin!

y

Yes the driver's mirror does not tilt as far down as the passenger side. Why, I'm not sure but that's how mine is also. The only power mirror problem I'm having is adjusting the passenger side mirror. Takes FOREVER to move it, but I can live with it ;)

Guys you will surprised the mirror is a problematic area, and lexus knew this problem wayback in 2003 and then went on to issue a TSB on this reverse tilting problems faced on the GX. So here is the TSB for it it. get going to the dealer and have it replaced if need be. So Long !!

Mirror_Memory_Reverse_Tilt.pdf

nopes.... there has been no revised TSB so far. Will keep on look out... But this is concern you can raise to the dealer and tell them they are beginning to fail periodically, maybe he would do something about it.

• 4 weeks later...

I generally love my GS300 2006 model purchased in 05. Toward the end of 07, both mirrors were replaced under warranty due to a single complaint that they would not always adjust properly when switching between park, drive and reverse. I thought replacement without even checking them out was odd--but that was the immediate response. ( I have since learned it is because they say they never work on them--just replace them if there's a problem--high cost)

The mirrors didn't operate exactly the same after being replaced but it was really good enough (acceptable) because they went up and down as they were supposed to and I didn't need to adjust them much beyond that.

Well some time in early 09, I thought I noticed the drivers side mirror kept pointing up. At first I was not sure of the problem but eventually the problem was more noticeable and there was no doubt. Plus--the driver's side mirror would not go down so that I could see the ground in reverse. The problem combined to be very dangerous when trying to merge onto interstate in heavy traffic--sometime I would not have noticed until the critical moment.

I explained all this at the dealer's service shop. I got the same LAME excuse given above in this string--"the driver's side mirror doesn't point down as much as the passenger side!!" Absolutely false--if it ever was not as much, it was by an unnoticeable difference. It galls me that the service manager thinks I don't know my own car after years of driving. I should have made him go crank a new one but I didn't think of it at the time. Later I determined that when I hit the preset, the mirror would move each time I hit the preset--as if it had no memory of the actual setting. So I thought that preset 1 was burned out or something. I reset the mirrors and seat position using preset 3. This worked! The mirror did everything it was supposed to (pointing down to the ground and all) FOR ABOUT TWO DAYS!!! Then the same problem. I have not explained any of this to the dealer who will act like he doubts I know what I know since I can't show him a properly functioning mirror and he claims they can't duplicate on demand.

I have loved my Lexus experience except it infuriates me that dealers act like they haven't heard about these problems (I had a similar dealer experience in the past related to tires) when they have and have pre-rehearsed answers like "mirror on driver's side doesn't point down as much." The dealer ultimately said well we can replace but that's 8 or 900 dollars--of course the warranty is gone. I BELIEVE THIS IS UNFAIR BECAUSE CLEARLY THESE MIRRORS HAVE A FLAW--it isn't just wear and tear--it appears these mirrors are failing. As a Lexus owner, I'm entitled to a car with all its features working properly.

Does anyone out there have any advice on getting the company to repair or replace--at least for a reasonable cost? Any chance of any type of recall?

Yes the driver's mirror does not tilt as far down as the passenger side. Why, I'm not sure but that's how mine is also. The only power mirror problem I'm having is adjusting the passenger side mirror. Takes FOREVER to move it, but I can live with it ;)

If driver's side not tilting as much, it is because the mirror is starting gradually to fail and you it has been gradual enough that you didn't realize it was happening. Eventually, it will move only about 1/4 inch or almost not at all.