Replacement Tires

I am in need of a new set of tires for my 2007 LS460. I live in San Diego and was considering the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season. Does anyone agree or have other suggestions?

BTW, Costco has these for $207 each (starting Monday the 14th of April) for a total of $947.44 out the door. And, you get a $60.00 Costco debit card if you buy a set of 4. Tirerack price is $1,071 shipped with the road hazard warranty, and $120.00 for installation at a local tire store. Over $250.00 more!!

Why an all season in San Diego?

I travel a lot. Also, the summer tires by Michelin cost more and have a lot lower tread wear rating (Pilot Sport and the Pilot Sport PS2= 220 versus 400 for the Pilot Sport A/S).

My dealer installed new Michelins on my 460L because he was dissatisfied with the ride and performance of the Dunlops that came on it. This was at 13K mi this last winter. The new tires are Pilot HX MXM4 in size XSE P235/50 ZR18 97W M+S. These tires are superb; silent, great snow performance, good handling and smooth as silk. I don't care about tread life as long as I have smooth, quiet dependable traction at speeds usually between 65 and 80 with an occasional irresponsible burst to 3 figures. You want to insist on having the tires balanced on a balancer like a Hunter with the optional load roller. This balancer will match the low spot on your rim with the high spot on your tire and it does make a difference! I had Bridgestone Turenzas on my 430 and liked them, but I think these may actually be better, but who knows?

I would choose a ride biased touring tire for the LS instead of a performance tire like the Pilots.

I know its hard in that size, looking through TireRack my choice would be the Turanza Serenity.

• 6 months later...
I am in need of a new set of tires for my 2007 LS460. I live in San Diego and was considering the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season. Does anyone agree or have other suggestions?

BTW, Costco has these for $207 each (starting Monday the 14th of April) for a total of $947.44 out the door. And, you get a $60.00 Costco debit card if you buy a set of 4. Tirerack price is $1,071 shipped with the road hazard warranty, and $120.00 for installation at a local tire store. Over $250.00 more!!

I just bought the new version of these tires Pilot Sport A/S Plus. These tires have a 45K mileage warranty from Michelin. They were about $235 each at Costco - $1004 out the door. I actually bought them from America's Tires since they have allow you to make appointments for the free tire rotations. It would have been about $75 higher but they always match Costco's out the door price - actually about $10 less. I've only had the tires for about two weeks but they seem quieter than the Dunlop original equipment.

• 7 months later...

I just bought the new version of these tires Pilot Sport A/S Plus. These tires have a 45K mileage warranty from Michelin. They were about $235 each at Costco - $1004 out the door. I actually bought them from America's Tires since they have allow you to make appointments for the free tire rotations. It would have been about $75 higher but they always match Costco's out the door price - actually about $10 less. I've only had the tires for about two weeks but they seem quieter than the Dunlop original equipment.

Hello duhmel,

I just put a set of the pilot sports A/S + on my 2007 LS460, after reading the reviews on tire-rack and ther sites. as you, I also liked the 45K warranty after only getting 27K out of the OEM dunlops.

Now that you've had these tires for a few months are you satisfied?"

• 1 month later...

I also put the pilot sports A/S + tires on my 460 L. I purchased them from Costco and they were filled with nitrogen, instead of compressed air. I love the tires and the deal I got from Costco. They were about $1000, out the door, and come with a road hazard warranty.

My dealer installed new Michelins on my 460L because he was dissatisfied with the ride and performance of the Dunlops that came on it. This was at 13K mi this last winter. The new tires are Pilot HX MXM4 in size XSE P235/50 ZR18 97W M+S. These tires are superb; silent, great snow performance, good handling and smooth as silk. I don't care about tread life as long as I have smooth, quiet dependable traction at speeds usually between 65 and 80 with an occasional irresponsible burst to 3 figures. You want to insist on having the tires balanced on a balancer like a Hunter with the optional load roller. This balancer will match the low spot on your rim with the high spot on your tire and it does make a difference! I had Bridgestone Turenzas on my 430 and liked them, but I think these may actually be better, but who knows?

Would the difference between Dunlops and the Michelins be true for AWDs as well?

thanks and cheers

:cheers:

Hank

• 2 weeks later...

I also put the pilot sports A/S + tires on my 460 L. I purchased them from Costco and they were filled with nitrogen, instead of compressed air. I love the tires and the deal I got from Costco. They were about $1000, out the door, and come with a road hazard warranty.

My car came w/ Bridgestones and had them replaced with Dunlops at the time when I purchased the car from the dealer. Having recently replaced my tires with Kumho Ecsta LX PLatinium. I found both tires to be the following:

Dunlop:

Good tire

Too Expensive to replace @ $220+tax+mount and balance

The ride was quiet when new but progressively made road noise in cluding thumping and un-even tire wear towards the end.

Ride was too soft ( even at 42psi)- especially @ swipping turns and during lane change. Otherwise, nice, comfortable, tight ride in a straight situations.

Towards the end (30,000mi.), it started to wear uneven and made thumping noise. The alignment checked out OK when I replaced the tires. So, it was not the alignment problem. The Dunlop was replaced at 35,000 mi.

Kumho:

Excellent tire considering it was $700 out the door. I've considered all tires including Bridgestone Serenity.

The tire is just as quiet as Dunlop. even with more agressive tread pattern

The ride was tighter- better in lane change and in high speed turns

Yet, Still maintains nice comfortable ride. However, I found the Kumho to be little more bouncy on concrete highways with expansion joints. On other road conditions, it was about the same on straight roads. I found the best overall ride at cold tire pressure = 37/38 psi and it maintains 41/42 psi when it's hot.

60,000 mi. warr. with 2 year roadside assistance.

Sorry, I could not comment on wet weather handling- I will not see rain for another 6 month in L.A.

Overall, I was not disappointed with Kumho and still managed to saved $300-$400.