Sparkplugs

scottmcc

I was just watching Horsepower TV on Spike TV this morning and they did a dyno test on spark plugs and with no other engine changes other than spark plugs run at the same engine temperatures, the E3 spark plugs produced 5 more horsepower than the other performance plugs..

Plus they burned less fuel..

Anyone running these plugs?

I was just watching Horsepower TV on Spike TV this morning and they did a dyno test on spark plugs and with no other engine changes other than spark plugs run at the same engine temperatures, the E3 spark plugs produced 5 more horsepower than the other performance plugs..

5HP out of 300 is ONLY slightly more than 1.5%

20 dyno runs, 10 runs each, switching plugs back and forth each run, would be necessary to prove the 1.5% wasn't just PURE happenstance.

And just what spark plug was used as opposition, one from a Ford model "T"...???

And was it a 2005-2008 engine with all the engine management ECU functionality in place..??

there are plugs out there that produce 11 more hp, they are 25 dollars apiece

Yes, and at least $0.50 goes to the cost of relabeling a standard $2.00 off the shelf spark plug to a "private label" one.

I'm sure we can all imagine where the remaining $22.50 goes....

there are plugs out there that produce 11 more hp, they are 25 dollars apiece

A set of these, a new Turbonator and a 2+1 MAF resistor chip and I'll be over 425 bhp no problem!! And keep it under a hundred bucks!! What a deal! :lol:

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/techartic...lugs/index.html

I am using those plugs in my '90 ls400 with 300,000 + miles. I've had the car since new and must say the car runs stronger now than ever. At the same time I installed those plugs I put in a k&n filter and while I doubt i'd notice the perhaps 10 hp increase over stock, it does seem more powerful and objectively gets much better mileage. I've gone from 23-24 on the highway to 28-29. That's with just those two changes. Pretty spiffy.

I am using those plugs in my '90 ls400 with 300,000 + miles. I've had the car since new and must say the car runs stronger now than ever. At the same time I installed those plugs I put in a k&n filter and while I doubt i'd notice the perhaps 10 hp increase over stock, it does seem more powerful and objectively gets much better mileage. I've gone from 23-24 on the highway to 28-29. That's with just those two changes. Pretty spiffy.

You are claiming a 25% increase in fuel mileage from different spark plugs and an air filter. That's ridiculous.

Why not discard the intake filtering altogether and maybe improve FE another ~20%...??

At 300,000 miles that engine is likely overdue for an overhaul anyway.

You are claiming a 25% increase in fuel mileage from different spark plugs and an air filter. That's ridiculous.

"Ridiculous..."

Well, maybe not...

Suppose the oil wicking off that K&N into the HIGH SPEED intake airstream quickly contaminated the MAF/IAT module sensors and now the engine is running EXTREMELY lean, maybe even only in "cruising" mode....

Did the 1990 LS have knock sensors...??

But then at 300,000 the compression ratio might be so compromised that even severely leaned it doesn'y knock.

"Ridiculous..."

Well, maybe not...

Suppose the oil wicking off that K&N into the HIGH SPEED intake airstream quickly contaminated the MAF/IAT module sensors and now the engine is running EXTREMELY lean, maybe even only in "cruising" mode....

Did the 1990 LS have knock sensors...??

But then at 300,000 the compression ratio might be so compromised that even severely leaned it doesn'y knock.

Yeah, they had a knock sensor. But your probably not that far off with the running lean theory, although I would also contribute the extra air flow and old fuel injectors along with poor valve seals to help contribute to that. But I still don't believe there was a 25% increase in fuel mileage. Even 10% is considered ALOT!

And your gonna need alot more help than a CAI and spark plugs just to see stock horsepower again, let alone 10 ponies over stock.

It was what was actually observed over the same trip year to year on a 300+ mile trip. There's nothing ridiculous about it. The previous spark plugs were in terrible condition and while the air filter wasn't previously dirty, changing it to a kn certainly did help some. You can attempt to quantify exactly what percentage of my gain may be attributed whichever on your own time.

Changing the pcv valve, replacing the plug wires and two seafoam treatments were of course all done as part of the tuneup.

It all seems to make sense to me. The dyno numbers or w/e testing all point to similar results as does my own experience. Will you get the same gains? Probably not.

By the way, the engine is in great shape and as I said before, still operates wonderfully. I have no idea what sort of overhaul it may require. There are no leaks from the valve cover gaskets, cam gaskets or rear engine seal. The engine does not burn oil and the valves are still all within spec.

Of course this is an unusual result, but in looking around the resulting mileage is not absurdly high.

Those two changes from stock certainly improved the mileage over what I was getting back in 92,93 when the car was still relatively new (maybe 25,26).

You remember what gas mileage you got on a 300 mile trip 16 years ago? Wow!

I'm not saying that your motor is or isn't in good condition. I actually think it's great that your still motoring along. 300K miles plus is an attribute of Toyota's engineering, and your attention and care over many years and miles.

But that doesn't change the attributes of an after market air filter and new spark plugs. Come on. A spark plug creates a flame kernal that ignites the air fuel mixture in the cylinder. The only real advancements in spark plugs that I have seen is the ability to disapate heat better, which in turn prevents preignition. Hence the Iridium plugs. The tip gets so hot that it begins to burn fuel as it's entering the cylinder. That's why it has that huge insulator all around it. The idea a better spark creating more power is just not real science. Remember why your not supposed to use gasoline to start a Bar-B-Que grill with? Do you think that fire would start any slower with a match than a blow torch? It wouldn't make any difference.

Now it is different if you are heavily modded. In that case, especially force induction, you can experience spark blow out with all the air fuel being rushed in and out of the cylinder, or if your advancing or retarding the ignition severely, but even then it's not about the spark plug, it's about the coils and amping up the charge to create a stronger arch.

So, all I can tell you is that maybe it was a different time of year, cooler weather can help produce more hp, maybe you carried less wieght in the car on this trip then you did before, maybe gasoline technology is better than it was 16 years ago, maybe the wind was behind you more on this trip, or you went down hill alot more this time. Still, I just don't beleive dropping in a K&N air filter, and switching to E3 spark plugs could really produce a 25% gain in fuel mileage. That's huge. Remember Split Fire spark plugs?

I didn't switch to E3.

It wasn't 16 years ago. It was one year ago when I went from dirty plugs to clean. I don't know where 16 came from and I certainly wouldn't have had fouled up plugs after 2 years.

I don't even really care why my mileage changed that much. This change did occur. I pretty much explained the changes as they took place... I went from pretty crappy/average mileage during perfect highway situations to really good mileage. Maybe I've just gotten to having a lighter foot. Who cares at this point. Both numbers are reasonable, perhaps the reasons are up for some discussion.

Given my Rolls gets about 8 mpg, my Bentley 14 and this car is just a hobby of mine, the reasons for the mileage of this car is the least of my concerns.

Have fun figuring out what really happened!

I am using those plugs in my '90 ls400 with 300,000 + miles. I've had the car since new and must say the car runs stronger now than ever. At the same time I installed those plugs I put in a k&n filter and while I doubt i'd notice the perhaps 10 hp increase over stock, it does seem more powerful and objectively gets much better mileage. I've gone from 23-24 on the highway to 28-29.

It was what was actually observed over the same trip year to year on a 300+ mile trip. There's nothing ridiculous about it.

Those two changes from stock certainly improved the mileage over what I was getting back in 92,93 when the car was still relatively new (maybe 25,26).

I guess I got confused. :huh: Your not using the E3 spark plugs?

I've gone from 23-24 on the highway to 28-29. That's with just those two changes. Pretty spiffy.

Just to remind you of what you said.

I will agree with you that 28-29 is probably near normal - I get 30 mpg imperial out of my LS on the highway, so yours is good on a US gallon. So the old plugs must have been awful, and the engine running poorly. Which means it's not the brand of spark plugs - even Champions would have produced that increase. That's my point.