K&n Air Filters

I keep hearing from folks with "no ax to grind" that installing a K&N air filter can make improvements in fuel economy. (Power too, but my RX350 is powerful enough for my purposes.) What is the general consensus amongst all the Lexus gurus out there? Would installing such a filter have any effect on the Lexus warranty? Will it improve fuel economy? I understand the K&N filter is washable and should be good for 100K miles? They say in their online ads that it's "the last air filter your car will ever need". Their website also could not come up with a local dealer for that part number (33-2260).

Is there another forum that discusses air filters like the K&N?

I keep hearing from folks with "no ax to grind" that installing a K&N air filter can make improvements in fuel economy. (Power too, but my RX350 is powerful enough for my purposes.) What is the general consensus amongst all the Lexus gurus out there? Would installing such a filter have any effect on the Lexus warranty? Will it improve fuel economy? I understand the K&N filter is washable and should be good for 100K miles? They say in their online ads that it's "the last air filter your car will ever need". Their website also could not come up with a local dealer for that part number (33-2260).

Is there another forum that discusses air filters like the K&N?

1] For the clear and certain majority of time your engine is running the throttle plate is the primary RESTRICTION to intake airflow.

2] the oil impregnated K&N series will eventually, possibly quite quickly, contaminate your MAF/IAT sensor due to oil molecules being continuously "wicked" away into the high volume airflow.

3] Assuming there might be a "freer-flowing" K&N without oiling then it should be obvious that it will provide less engine protection than the OEM version.

But yes, the Porsche GT3's we have run each year at the 24 hours of Daytona always use non-oil type K&N filters, or the equivalent thereof.

But those cars spend an inordinant amount of time at/on FULL throttle and it is expected that they the engines will be torn down, inspected, and fully overhauled after each race.

But yes, a K&N filter might well last over 100,000 miles, but at what other $$$ cost...??

This is, after all, a LEXUS you own.

Awesome! Like those get-better-gas-mileage-today products out there, you have to believe that if things like these products and K&N filters were as good as they claim, the Toyota / Lexus engineers would be using them. The car makers are under tremendous pressure to improve gas mileage while increasing performance so I'm sure they're researching all angles of the situation.

Same for aftermarket computer chips reflashed for performance and/or fuel economy - they could damage the engine and would probably void your warranty. Best to keep it stock and just enjoy the car. Better mileage? Keep the right foot from pressing down too hard - very simple.

I appreciate the advice.

• 2 weeks later...
Awesome! Like those get-better-gas-mileage-today products out there, you have to believe that if things like these products and K&N filters were as good as they claim, the Toyota / Lexus engineers would be using them. The car makers are under tremendous pressure to improve gas mileage while increasing performance so I'm sure they're researching all angles of the situation.

Same for aftermarket computer chips reflashed for performance and/or fuel economy - they could damage the engine and would probably void your warranty. Best to keep it stock and just enjoy the car. Better mileage? Keep the right foot from pressing down too hard - very simple.

I appreciate the advice.

Hear! Hear!!!

I have an 03 Z06 Vette that is bone stock (engine-wise) with the exception of a Calloway "Honker" (air intake assembly) that was installed by the previous owner. I haven't heard anything detrimental about this air intake system and the car performs flawlessly, so I have left it in place. I have the complete stock assembly but have no reason to remove the Calloway unit. I love my Z and have had passing thoughts of installing a Maggie (Magnuson supercharger) or other "hop-up" goodies...but I don't feel like I need to, as the car has more than enough "get up and go" for me w/405 hp (at the flywheel). I did install a Hurst short-throw shifter, a "CAGS" skip shift eliminator (now I get to decide what gear I want to select after 1st gear, instead of the computer deciding I need to go to 4th instead of 2nd, since my RPMs are below a certain level.

Anyway...my point is this..I agree with "keep it stock and just enjoy the car", at least as far as my wife's RX is concerned. My 96 GMC p/u is also "bone stock"...not even an aftermarket air filter. I have used K&N's for many thousands of miles without seeing any harm, but my 99 Taurus' airbox lid specifically stated, "use of oiled filter elements may cause harm"...or something to that effect.