Stainless Steel Brake Lines

Bandit

I'm new at this and mis-labeled the Topic as SC400, Sorry!

<_<

I just had a set of Tokico Shocks and Eibach Springs installed on my 93 SC400. My mechanic was suppose to install a set of Goodrich Stainless Steel Brake Lines at the same time. (Lines manufactured by Technafit) He noticed that when he removed the factory lines, that the Banjo Bolt end has a pin machined on the end of the fitting that locks into a detent or hole in the side of the Caliper fitting that keeps the line from turning and inadvertently loosening the bolt and line. This concerned him that the new lines did not have this and so he did not fit the lines.

I called my supplier and they put me in touch with Technafit and I talked to their Customer Service Rep.

He stated that none of the lines that they manufactured have this pin. They manufacture for many different name brand lines and have never had this. He also stated that their lines are DOT Approved and that 8 pounds of Torque is sufficient to keep the bolt tight. And even if the line turns, it will only turn clock-wise and therefore tighten the bolt.

Has anyone else noticed this and have any suggestions. Would I be safe in installing these lines and not have any concerns that they will back loose and cause complete brake failure. NO LINE PRESSURE!

<!--emo&:wacko:-->wacko.gif<!--endemo--> :angry: :whistles:

I didn't notice that when I did mine. I feel the two crush washers and sufficient torque will ensure that the lines do not come out. I try to check my lines though as often as possible. After I did the job. I thought you were going to mention the flare on the hard line not fitting the nut off the SS line. That is the problem I had. I had to cut the old hard line and use a compression fitting to rig up a flare that would work from the auto parts store. It hasn't leaked yet. But I check it a lot.

Some people just file the stock flare off the hard line down until it does fit in the nut. Other people don't have this problem I guess. I used BF Goodrich Supra TT Spec lines.

• 3 weeks later...

Installed the SS Brake Lines over the weekend and there is a noticable difference. Before installing the lines, I would press down on the brake pedal and notice that it goes down quite aways, but if I back off and reapply quickly, I have a much firmer pedal and more braking power.

I then installed the new lines and when I conduct the same test, initially the pedal does not go down as far, but will still firm up slightly when I release and reapply. Not near as much difference. It has eliminated some of the softness due to line expansion.

While I was at it, I painted the calipers Red and put on some Lexus Caliper stickers I purchased from Ebay. I have some photo's, but do not know how to attach them. If someone lets me know how, I will attach them later.